Page 47 of 72 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Finger Paintings!

Beautiful! i love how much you can convey in a scene while still keeping it so loose and relaxed
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Not masterful at colors? Please. . .such modesty. For anybody who has tried to paint landscapes of a common scene, they would recognize that comment as being far too humble. We all know just how precise one has to be to make such mundane painting subjects sing. It's a real trick.

I once heard an old film maker commenting on what we look back on as a sort of anachronistic sentimentality and charm of earlier romantic comedies that showed lots of heart. And we think it's the way things simply were -- a kinder, gentler time where they just existed in that bandwidth of sentiment so it was authentic. But that wasn't the case. What the film commentator said was that it was really a chore to not cross the line because the main pitfall was to get the heart across but not make it sappy. And he pointed to that being the strength of whichever director he was talking about (Frank Capra or George Stevens?)

Point I'm making is that one can do landscapes that have no life or that on the other end look forced and technique heavy. But you create a lens that both adds life and mood to the subject but it somehow only enhances the experience of the subject. Your colors are the culprit. The brushwork too, but the color is the basis of why the images are compelling.
    I apologise for taking so long to check back. Life’s been squeezing me like I’m a rat caught up in a boa constrictor.
    Thank you, DAkey Super kind of you, and the film analogy was really well played. Your dialogue is always thought provoking and intelligent and I want you to know I truly appreciate it.

I should be clear, I have reached the point where I am able to balance colors quite well and I am happy with the power that gives me over creating an image. I know what I’m doing in most cases. I think where I reject mastery is by knowing that my paintings could be keyed better in many cases, where the hues could be tied together thematically as opposed to a local color fest. I am probably being overly harsh. I guess for me, it’s enough of a struggle sometimes it feels more like hard work than mastery
    I suppose theres the aggregate of everything in that struggle though...composition, values and color. Confusion sometimes happens when they are being tackled simultaneously.
    Last edited by Chad Weatherford; 09-21-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeddartha View Post
    Really nice stuff!
    Thank you zeddartha!

Quote Originally Posted by Selby View Post
    Beautiful! i love how much you can convey in a scene while still keeping it so loose and relaxed
    Thanks for the kind words, Shelby!

I pass this just about every day. The Burrard Inlet from the Lions Gate Bridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6950DED9-5615-48C5-874D-001A07670D1F.jpeg 
Views:	141 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	96010  

Ambleside Park. Painted from a smartphone photo.

Name:	86AA4A89-C3E0-45AF-9CE4-2D49220C23F8.jpeg 
Views:	154 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	96011  

Summer, I barely knew ya. Sketch on our deck.

Name:	65D1C6C9-1393-47D8-9731-C8191BC08BD7.jpeg 
Views:	121 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	96012  

Where did I put the orange juice?
    Last edited by iceaxe; 09-21-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)

Re the Fingerpaint study of some blossoms in April! All ArtRage app with finger. on page 7 past midway somewhere

I had to come back to this one, love this, its like i am really there but in the youth and prime of midday, conveys so much feeling and energy. You have an extraordinary ability to work the colour, a lost world of adventure reality somehow greater than the present. so much shining through such a small rectangle. Vibrant clean idyllic
    Great stuff!
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)

Hi Chad. No 01. Formidable.