Page 43 of 72 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Finger Paintings!

Still life from group painting session last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68661E1D-27BA-4366-B63E-23A87504D8DF.jpeg 
Views:	149 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	95835  
    Last edited by Chad Weatherford; 08-29-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Lunchtime painting of a colleague. Actually burned a couple hours after the intitial painting... finishing and experimenting with the colours.

Name:	80DEC942-4F70-4F16-849A-ADAEA1989716.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	444.0 KB 
ID:	95836  

Looks good.

I always erred on the side of working over reference when I could get it, because it took out of the workflow one area I could screw it up and create anxiety. It always seemed like the part of my brain I used in drawing was very disconnected from the side that did the painting. I mean I was fair enough when I was doing it a lot, as in a live studio set up or something, but for the most part drawing and composing were miles away from painting. And drawing was so much more flexible without gooping up a surface. But if I couldn't find good reference I was undone until I found something from which to work. I guess that's the difference between painting for yourself vs. being somebody else's finisher as with advertising illustration where I most often got a drawing that had gone through the approval process with the client and all. That makes you really good at painting, but leaves a lot under-educated when it comes to composing at the rate some commercial artists had to. Many of those guys seemed to do variations on the same theme which solved the problem of cranking out a lot -- selling art by the yard so to speak. But they often couldn't do so well past the drawing stage. Those artists who could do both stood well over everybody else.

Anyway, just curious. Which do you prefer, painting over a photo or fairly complete drawing or would you rather just dive in to the painting?
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Looks good.

I always erred on the side of working over reference when I could get it, because it took out of the workflow one area I could screw it up and create anxiety. It always seemed like the part of my brain I used in drawing was very disconnected from the side that did the painting. I mean I was fair enough when I was doing it a lot, as in a live studio set up or something, but for the most part drawing and composing were miles away from painting. And drawing was so much more flexible without gooping up a surface. But if I couldn't find good reference I was undone until I found something from which to work. I guess that's the difference between painting for yourself vs. being somebody else's finisher as with advertising illustration where I most often got a drawing that had gone through the approval process with the client and all. That makes you really good at painting, but leaves a lot under-educated when it comes to composing at the rate some commercial artists had to. Many of those guys seemed to do variations on the same theme which solved the problem of cranking out a lot -- selling art by the yard so to speak. But they often couldn't do so well past the drawing stage. Those artists who could do both stood well over everybody else.

Anyway, just curious. Which do you prefer, painting over a photo or fairly complete drawing or would you rather just dive in to the painting?
    Personally I prefer to dive straight into the painting, as color and light are what I’m most interested in capturing. I can get away with that more in natural landscapes. I can block people in pretty fast as well I guess, but I’ll pass a point where I need to spend time drawing it more carefully if there are no strong shadow shapes to facilitate a block in.

I hear what your saying about reference. I usually rely on it for concept work, to the point of building basic 3D models to plot stuff out more accurately. Occasionally I’ll paint over a photo as well when time is limited. It all depends on what my goals with the image are.

Aerials. So love doing them...this was during a flight from Vancouver to Chicago.

Name:	095ED699-DC04-4714-8EDF-AA7FC2AFAADA.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	95839  

love your areial landscape- enough details to keep the mind interested but plenty of room for it to play. it makes me think of adventures to be had.
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Quote Originally Posted by Selby View Post
    love your areial landscape- enough details to keep the mind interested but plenty of room for it to play. it makes me think of adventures to be had.
    Thank you for the kind words, Shelby!

Sketch of my sister. I want to go back into this and re-jig the color. Too yellow

Name:	E0454A3F-3F18-43C2-A4E3-5BBA531791E5.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	431.3 KB 
ID:	95852  

Quick sketch of my mom during a visit to Illinois a few years ago. This trip was also the last time I saw my grandmother alive. She had degraded quite a lot since I had last seen her in person and suffered multiple strokes. It was sad. She taught me to oil paint when I was 7. Seeing pictures of her around my mom’s house (when she was my age!) really hammered home the feeling of mortality and the limits of the time we are given.

Name:	B7D52ED3-E04F-4823-B143-666189B597F8.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	267.8 KB 
ID:	95853  

A quick sketch of my mom's dog 'Cody'. If you say the words, 'dog show' he runs up to the TV and stands on his hind legs to try and peer into the television. Apparently he likes the dog on old Frasier reruns. If the dog goes offscreen he hunts for it around the fireplace. He's a pretty entertaining pooch.

Name:	C66484EE-B1A3-468C-B1C9-3074B8793733.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	471.9 KB 
ID:	95854