Page 23 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Finger Paintings!

A quick study of concrete and wood at Ambleside Park here in West Vancouver.

Another one pretty much all ArtRage Fingerpaint on the IPad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ipad_mar_18.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	449.3 KB 
ID:	95120  

Very well done,
    Visit my website here

I think Feb 26th and Feb 28th are my favorites.

Question Chad: When you start your finger paintings do you set the canvas color or do you play with that after you have done the block in? I know some paintings you leave it at white.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the canvas color and how you approach each painting.
    Robert Hopkins

I change it up. Sometimes I like to tone the canvas with an orangey or reddish undercoat. A lot of times I'll add an underpainting after I've blocked something in...only with the the magic of digital. More often than not, this underpainting will be a photo of an actual painting...which provides the illusion of additional 'tooth' for the brushstrokes, and provides an extra layer of texture complexity when finished, as little bits show through the final strokes. Sometimes I'll combine a photo of a painting with an orange undercoat, and sometimes I'll leave the canvas white. Other times I'll remove the underpainting layer after I've painted on a layer over the top for a while, which gives me some unexpected results with the stark white showing through. I like to experiment a lot.

Passing storm over the Granville island docks.

Name:	IMG_6930.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	269.1 KB 
ID:	95131  

10-15 minute sketch of a commuter a few years back.

Name:	ipad_mar_20.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	481.0 KB 
ID:	95132  

Sketching at the bus stop. The people were added in later. Making use of the thick impasto oil brush!

Name:	IMG_6952.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	434.9 KB 
ID:	95133  

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Weatherford View Post
    I change it up. Sometimes I like to tone the canvas with an orangey or reddish undercoat. A lot of times I'll add an underpainting after I've blocked something in...only with the the magic of digital. More often than not, this underpainting will be a photo of an actual painting...which provides the illusion of additional 'tooth' for the brushstrokes, and provides an extra layer of texture complexity when finished, as little bits show through the final strokes. Sometimes I'll combine a photo of a painting with an orange undercoat, and sometimes I'll leave the canvas white. Other times I'll remove the underpainting layer after I've painted on a layer over the top for a while, which gives me some unexpected results with the stark white showing through. I like to experiment a lot.
    Another added bonus to working that way is that the art forgers would be totally stumped. Reshuffles the spontaneity factor to include "found objects" as it were, even if you found them on your own hard drive, that appear in that moment. To use a musician's idea it's riffing.

Also relieves the boredom factor of just following the same formula over and over. And yet the appearance has enough of a similarity to recognize or at least suspect it's yours. Good way to mix it up. Certainly the results are always rather exciting to look at. And I can appreciate showing all these various paintings side by side. Part of the interest is looking at the variations as much as the similarities.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Chad, I love your finger paintings, so much talent, all my children live in vancouver so very familiar with it, well just thought of it, lol is that vancouver canada, that where they are

Quote Originally Posted by pat1940 View Post
    Chad, I love your finger paintings, so much talent, all my children live in vancouver so very familiar with it, well just thought of it, lol is that vancouver canada, that where they are
    Thank you so much! Yup, Vancouver Canada.

When we first got here we were looking for a car...and were delighted to find a dealership in Vancouver that offered great deals.

Turns out those great deals were in Vancouver Washington.