Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Finger Paintings!

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Sa-weet! As if you're in an air traffic control tower at an international airport making sure all the planes land properly in their respective destinations. Good stuff.
    Haha! Thanks D Akey.

Anther commuter sketch. I finally got the desktop version of ArtRage. I was hoping I would be able to easily extract some video process, it it looks like it'll be a multi staged process of playing the script, recording the screen with QuickTime, and editing in iMovie to speed it up to a digestible size. Ugh, Procreate allows you to simply export and share a video.

I could share the scripts here I guess, but they are pretty hefty files
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6822.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	376.1 KB 
ID:	95090  

Cold day in March from a couple years ago. If I were to do it again I might not make the bushes such a singular dark mass.

Name:	IMG_6832.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	376.9 KB 
ID:	95091  

Quick-ish commuter sketch.

Name:	IMG_6837.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	418.5 KB 
ID:	95092  

Concept experiment, using serendipity and happy accidents to come up with an idea by mashing photos together with various layer settings to create a chaotic jumble, then picking something out of the sparks that fly. This one was a Fingerpaint turned over to Photoshop with a stylus and back again.

Name:	IMG_6841.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	339.1 KB 
ID:	95093  

Abandoned boat near English Bay in Vancouver.

Name:	ipad_mar_11.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	95094  

Great colors Chad! Sorry about calling you "Chaf" in my other post. The "d" is right by the "f". Does that count?

D Akey, DarkOwnt and I were having a discussion in another thread about paint strokes and I am really noticing that you do try and vary the loading and thinners in your strokes. Quite a bit actually. I really see the loading happening in the 8th and 9th photos. Do you try and follow any specific rule when using the thicker paint strokes? Are you trying to show more emphasis on the man's shoulder in the 9th painting by giving it dimension? Help me understand when and when not to use thick brush strokes. I like this effect and it gives our digital paintings a more real-oil look.

I know that the ArtRage staff would like to give us better video output capabilities but the way the software is designed it is impossible for them to make it behave like Procreate. But, Procreate does not have real oil brushes or real canvas!
    Robert Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    Great colors Chad! Sorry about calling you "Chaf" in my other post. The "d" is right by the "f". Does that count?

D Akey, DarkOwnt and I were having a discussion in another thread about paint strokes and I am really noticing that you do try and vary the loading and thinners in your strokes. Quite a bit actually. I really see the loading happening in the 8th and 9th photos. Do you try and follow any specific rule when using the thicker paint strokes? Are you trying to show more emphasis on the man's shoulder in the 9th painting by giving it dimension? Help me understand when and when not to use thick brush strokes. I like this effect and it gives our digital paintings a more real-oil look.

I know that the ArtRage staff would like to give us better video output capabilities but the way the software is designed it is impossible for them to make it behave like Procreate. But, Procreate does not have real oil brushes or real canvas!
    No worries on the 'f' I do it all the time, which is funny because one of my designers on the show Dinotrux had the name 'Chaf', so it could potentially cause confusion.

Regarding the thicker paint stokes....ah sometimes there is no rhyme or reason. The thicker paint creates nice texture with canvas lighting and sometimes I'll keep painting with it not realising I am, which can end up looking sloppy in many cases. The main reason I vary the strokes is for variety in the mark making.

That said, sometimes I consciously try to be more deliberate, using the impasto technique in a more traditional sense, where the lights are painted thick and the darks are kept thinner in application.

For many of these sketches though, it's mostly for textural effects and relying on an element of serendipity.

Regarding the video output...it can't be impossible to build in a process to convert the script to video?.... I guess it is a matter of resources and keeping the program lean as possible. Perhaps a future update will include this ability.

Thanks Robert!

Painted this under two different lighting conditions which makes it a bit wish washy. Lesson learned. I should have been more deliberate and not changed my mind a few times while painting. Carry through!

Name:	IMG_6890.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	491.1 KB 
ID:	95095  

Cargo ship sketched on the trip into work a few years back. Finished with some minor Photoshop alterations.

Name:	IMG_6901.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	494.8 KB 
ID:	95097