Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Finger Paintings!

Experimental smudging technique to find some new shapes and ideas. This was originally a head of a sabertooth tiger I painted some years back. Using the palette knife I smeared the original and probably transformed it to crush the result into more streamlined shapes. I figured these could be speeders powered by organic components. Would take some fleshing out for an excessive concept, but this is a beginning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6738.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	389.8 KB 
ID:	94977  

Essentially, because oils have a certain bleed through, over the years it would come through the revised layer of paint. I'm pretty certain this wasn't something they would see right away and I would think they would see it as a goof up. Not planned on at all for the olden days. Nowadays, all bets are off and it's an interesting idea to putter with deliberately.

Alex Kinevski's stuff is clearly more in line with what you're doing and I really like it. Is it "pentimento"? Not as such in the original sense. But that doesn't mean it's not rockin'.

Because there was a bunch of other non-related stuff on the page I took a screen grab from:

http://willkempartschool.com/a-begin...-oil-portrait/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Essentially, because oils have a certain bleed through, over the years it would come through the revised layer of paint. I'm pretty certain this wasn't something they would see right away and I would think they would see it as a goof up. Not planned on at all for the olden days. Nowadays, all bets are off and it's an interesting idea to putter with deliberately.

Alex Kinevski's stuff is clearly more in line with what you're doing and I really like it. Is it "pentimento"? Not as such in the original sense. But that doesn't mean it's not rockin'.

Because there was a bunch of other non-related stuff on the page I took a screen grab from:

http://willkempartschool.com/a-begin...-oil-portrait/
    Oh cool, thanks for the explanation.

The digital medium being relatively new, I wonder if similar degredations will happen in time. Data once thought buried behind in the final file makes its way to the surface in some pixelated revelation.

I recall seeing a Craig Mullins image on my hard drive that would appear as a photo briefly in my macs preview window. It must have been the original photo he painted on top of and never intended to be revealed as such In the JPEG.. but yet, there it was.

View towards the Lions Gate Bridge in early morning frost.

Name:	IMG_6742.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	94985  

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Weatherford View Post
    Oh cool, thanks for the explanation.

The digital medium being relatively new, I wonder if similar degredations will happen in time. Data once thought buried behind in the final file makes its way to the surface in some pixelated revelation.

I recall seeing a Craig Mullins image on my hard drive that would appear as a photo briefly in my macs preview window. It must have been the original photo he painted on top of and never intended to be revealed as such In the JPEG.. but yet, there it was.
    Yeah, that's what immediately came to mind. I find that once I export from Adobe inDesign to a pdf, which is then displayed on the internet, that it displays in a couple layers of the lower levels for a split second and finally rights itself to the finished pic. So rather than a repentance, it's more like something that's not uniquely Latin in origin. I like to think of it as the old Rolaids commercial: "How do you spell 'relief'?" where the answer was "R_O_L_A_I_D_S". Now it's more like "Aargh! oh. . . okay. . .'P_H_E_W'!"
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Been getting clobbered with work and haven't found the time to post here lately. Sketch of the top of our street catching the last of the sun.

Name:	IMG_6751.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	449.0 KB 
ID:	95015  

It rains in Vancouver... a lot!

Name:	IMG_6753.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	372.0 KB 
ID:	95016  

This is actually only a small amount of Fingerpaint in ArtRage. A lot of the heavy lifting was done in Photoshop with a stylus a few years ago before I focused more on the Fingerpaint sketches.

Name:	IMG_6755.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	355.7 KB 
ID:	95017  

This one was finger painted on top of a photo outside the studio window. I wanted to quickly capture the light before it changed, so working over the photo saved some time.

Name:	IMG_6761.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	477.0 KB 
ID:	95018  
    Last edited by Chad Weatherford; 04-15-2018 at 09:36 AM.

This, along with the last one were pretty much all finger painted with ArtRage on the iPad. I then sharpened the image in Photoshop since the paintings sometimes feel blurry coming directly out of ArtRage. The sharpen filter brings out some texture that I like.

Name:	IMG_6765.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	432.8 KB 
ID:	95019  
    Last edited by Chad Weatherford; 04-15-2018 at 09:38 AM.