Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Finger Paintings!

This is great. /clap

Another commute sketch. Started as 1 singular crow...this was was so stagnant I added another later on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ipad_jan_08.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	401.1 KB 
ID:	94498  

Thank you!

These are great! So how big is the screen you're placing your finger on? I think one of the things I'm liking about these is that they're broadly stroked. When I used to paint small thumbnails, they had a spontaneous quality that rarely translated to larger scale. They didn't have any fussy noodling when working small because you just couldn't see it, nor did one care. So by the restrictions of size they were simply zestful images that jumped to the heart of the matter. These feel that way. That crow painting is fantastic.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks for the comment and question. The iPad screen is 9.5 by 7.31 inches....it's an iPad 2. I do stay zoomed out in the initial block in, which makes the image about 2 inches across on the screen, but usually zoom in a bit to work up textural details. If I forget to zoom in ( which is often) it starts looking a little too uncontrolled and sloppy when blown up. That said, I do like to keep the strokes as simple as I can for these, so I'll sometimes go over a sketch at the end with a larger brush to unify areas and reintroduce any looseness which has been lost once the value statements are resolved.

Fell behind posting this week...

Name:	ipad_jan_09.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	351.9 KB 
ID:	94521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5239.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	396.1 KB 
ID:	94522  

Not sure how I feel about this one...

Name:	ipad_jan_11.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	289.4 KB 
ID:	94523  

Very cool. I have a stylus and a pretty decent Cintiq, which is great because as you know one can paint directly on the screen. But with the finger, that's a very cool way to go. Reminds me of the old time oil painters who would use their fingers as palette knives. There's something visceral about that. Plus no problem with toxic materials with digital. Painting now is so revolutionized it's just plain fun no matter how one makes the marks.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I only can Say WOW good work
    Visit my website here

Honestly I kept misplacing my stylus a few years back and just became accustomed to painting with my finger. I didn't know the old time painters used their fingers like palette knives, that's amazing! Thanks for the complimentary words.