Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Finger Paintings!

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Very exciting "oil" painting look. Reminds me of a Russian painter Nicolai Fechin who inspired many of the oil painters on the west coast of the USA when he was teaching here. One of the things he did with his oil to make it behave in a particularly impasto way was to squeeze out his oils onto cardboard that then soaked out much of the linseed oil, thereby giving him an extra direct thickness that he didn't blend once on the canvas. Nice stuff. You're probably already aware of him, but here's a link in case anyone is interested in the quality you're getting that I'm referring to (to some degree).

https://www.google.com/search?q=nico...&bih=457&dpr=2
    thanks, yea, I love Fechin. I've used the technique before to treat oils like pastels, without realising that was the way he worked up that granular texture! That's really cool. Truthfully I sometimes use Fechin Works as an underlay with ArtRage paintings. Painting over them sort of mixes some randomness in with the digital marks as well as giving the digital strokes some extra tooth. I think I'm painting over the underlays enough to make the images my own, but I am technically stealing some textural bits to approximate an analogue feel.

Thanks for sharing your techniques!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Thanks for sharing your techniques!
    You're welcome, Any time!

Finger Paint day 16. Didn't have much time for this one, and had to finish on the bus ride home. The bus seemed a lot more bumpy when painting little lights. There are a few psd brushestrokes thrown in before retiring this sketch, but not much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5341.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	263.4 KB 
ID:	94551  

Thank you for sharing your beautiful painting daily! I really love your brushwork and the way you captured the city. I have just moved to Vancouver last year and I could feel the expression and atmosphere exactly. They are wonderful and I'm looking forward to seeing your next work!

I particularly like the night landscapes a whole lot. You have a very good sense of dramatic lighting.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Very good work I like very much the portrait. fantastic
    Visit my website here

Quote Originally Posted by Tida View Post
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful painting daily! I really love your brushwork and the way you captured the city. I have just moved to Vancouver last year and I could feel the expression and atmosphere exactly. They are wonderful and I'm looking forward to seeing your next work!
    Thank you so much! What brought you to Vancouver? How do you like the winter rain?

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    I particularly like the night landscapes a whole lot. You have a very good sense of dramatic lighting.
    Thank you...I enjoy doing the night ones. I can never capture them correctly in a photo so painting is the most accurate way for me to record what I see!

Quote Originally Posted by sabena View Post
    Very good work I like very much the portrait. fantastic
    Thank you!