Thread: AUTOSAVE or SAVE PROMPT when quitting

AUTOSAVE or SAVE PROMPT when quitting

Artrage 5 and the iOS version BOTH NEED AUTOSAVE! Procreate, Sketchbook pro, and Adobe ALL HAVE AUTO-Save or Save prompts. I accidentally lost a few hours work today when I only remembered to export my painting as a jpeg and forgot to save the .ptg file. This happens a lot.... I use a mac so I guess I could try to get in the habit of using the keyboard quit command that asks to save first... but I never remember. Luckily I do have a saved file from earlier today, and I DO have the jpg image.... I might have to import the jpeg as a new layer and erase around the areas that I had changed... And then merge them... but this should be easier. There should at least be a way to turn on a prompt to save the file when you quit. Both, on iPad and computer. I love the look of paint in art rage... very traditional looking without the hassle and mess of pulling out a paint palette and cleaning up after.... but no autosave or prompts make me want to quit using it sometimes!

IF there is a way to do this already... that I have not found, please tell me how. Thanks.

(double posting this in the iOS section and Desktop)

luckily I had saved the painting as a jpg.... I saved an older version of the painting a few hours before I quit without saving... so I was able to save it as a .psd file... import it to Corel Painter, and use the clone tool to clone the parts of the newer .jpeg that I had saved into a new layer... then I saved it as a .psd and imported it back into artrage 5... and I merged the two layers and saved as it back into a .ptg file Took like... three minutes. Thank goodness I saved the image as a jpeg a few minutes before quitting. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Melenda13.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	463.2 KB 
ID:	94454I still need to fix her right hand and probably lighten her knee a bit so it doesn't recede into the bg
    Last edited by Confusionofconformity; 12-29-2017 at 09:11 AM.

The iOS app has a save prompt that pops up in the corner as you work (unless you turn this off), and any version should always prompt you to save when quitting the program.

We are considering options for autosave, the main issue is that it can suck up a lot of background memory or even stop you from painting while everything saves, so until we solve that problem it would probably be more annoying than helpful and may even cause crashes (ArtRage uses a lot more memory than other painting programs so memory can stop us doing things other programs do not have issues with).

I found a third-party app that solves this problem somewhat. It's called Autosaver for Windows. It saves any documents in apps open on your computer at timed intervals - it basically presses CTRL-S for you every 5 mins (or 1, 2 minute.. you can change the frequency of saves). Sure, it can be annoying to have to stop painting while it saves but it's better than losing changes made to a file. You can select for the app to just save Artrage, rather than all open documents if you want.

Just search for AutoSaver Windows and it will come up- forum not allowing me to paste the link..

Sorry to hear about the problem - Could I ask which version you were using when the app closed without saving? The iOS version forces a save before exporting and saves a copy of the painting when you leave the app, and the Mac version should always prompt you to save the painting before it quits (there's no way to turn that off). If the Mac version isn't doing that could you let us know how you are quitting the product and we can look in to it to see if we can see what's happening.

Autosave of PTG files can be tricky due to the size of the file but we're considering options to try and help this in the future. The iOS version does have autosave prompts currently but we haven't implemented that in the desktop version.

i agree w the HUGE need for an auto save! it has made me use other programs i dont care for as much bc if my pc crashes or i simply forget, i have lost wayyy too much work! it is my only complaint about artrage but it is a HUGE one that really makes me not want to bother using it. i hoped ar5 would have changed that but nope!

HUGE thank you to the one who mentioned downloading autosaver i hope it works!

PLEASE ADD AUTO SAVE SO I CAN CONTINUE TO USE YOUR PRODUCT

You will always be reminded to save before closing down ArtRage if you have made changes to your canvas, so the only time there may be a problem is if the system crashes and is unable to generate the automatic recovery file that we have support for.

As I mentioned before, ArtRage files can be huge and auto-saving is not something we've implemented due to disruption in the workflow. A save prompt may be something we look at but auto-save isn't something we're actively working on at the moment.

I agree with the MattRage's point of view on the "AutoSave" feature. Moreover, I'd like to disable the prompt to save the painting before closing a painting (e.g., when I am debugging an ._arscript).

(By the way, I wrote an add-in for msWrd that show me if the doc has been modified, and switch off the "AutoSave" options. )
    Last edited by roma Golich; 11-23-2018 at 05:58 AM.