Thread: Home Grounds

Home Grounds

This is an art project I decided to try out. This original digital work is 24" x 36" which is a lot larger than I can print on my Epson 3880 printer. So I used On1 Resize 2017 ( a program I use to resize my images for
    printing ) to tile the original into 3 separate files each 12" x 24" with no overlap. I just printed them and applied an archival inject varnish to protect against damage and UV. I will trim the three images then mount
    them using Acrylic Gel Medium to a 24"x36" canvas that I prepped by painting the edges and first few inches of main surface black. I will post the finished product here later. This all came about because I was watching a You Tube video about David Hockney "A Bigger Picture" show. His paintings there are HUGE but he actually painted them on smaller canvas and they tile together to make the larger image. I have tried this before but had
    difficulty in using Photoshop to produce tiles of original images.. On1 Resize 2917 is very simple to use and automatially saves the tiles with numbers for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Home Grounds-Edit.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	529.5 KB 
ID:	94402  

Cool. Sort of a deKooning process paint look. Have you considered not filling every inch of the canvas? Not saying there's anything wrong with this, but it might freshen things up to look at things like with a portrait approach = to take the inspiration of the landscape and concept kinds of interpretations and approaching it like a portrait -- same chops, just as if you were doing a vignette. That might be a springboard into other kinds of designs. I know it's fun for you to put on music and just paint and paint until it works, but even if you do that, you may want to try stripping out sections and laying a shape against a simple background.

Don't know whether it would work for you or not, but it's a thought to keep it succinct and from becoming like run-on sentences. It's not so much about laying over stuff, but more like deleting stuff. An analogy might be that of a writer who writes and writes until he seens what he's getting at and then cuts vast chunks out that was a matter of trying to zero in on what was ultimately stated in a few sentences.

Just a thought. In other words, go deeper.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Cool. Sort of a deKooning process paint look. Have you considered not filling every inch of the canvas? Not saying there's anything wrong with this, but it might freshen things up to look at things like with a portrait approach = to take the inspiration of the landscape and concept kinds of interpretations and approaching it like a portrait -- same chops, just as if you were doing a vignette. That might be a springboard into other kinds of designs. I know it's fun for you to put on music and just paint and paint until it works, but even if you do that, you may want to try stripping out sections and laying a shape against a simple background.

Don't know whether it would work for you or not, but it's a thought to keep it succinct and from becoming like run-on sentences. It's not so much about laying over stuff, but more like deleting stuff. An analogy might be that of a writer who writes and writes until he seens what he's getting at and then cuts vast chunks out that was a matter of trying to zero in on what was ultimately stated in a few sentences.

Just a thought. In other words, go deeper.
    Yep I totally get that and in fact I was planning on adding a layer to paint over/out some of the redundant work and simplify it a lot... think of this as the "under painting"...