Thread: Recommendations on inkjet printing papers?

Recommendations on inkjet printing papers?

Hi. Does anyone have any recommendation for inkjet papers that give the best results? I have an HP printer if that makes a difference. I'm usually disappointed with prints as they look much duller than the image on my iPad, and I know that's because of the backlighting. I'm wondering though if its the paper I'm using. Should it be photo paper? Any brands that are favored here?Someone once said to boost the brightness of the painting before printing. Any tips and suggestions welcomed.
    Thanks in advance
    Robert

I was hoping someone more in the know would offer you some advice, but here's my input.

It really depends on your printer, whether it is a basic one, or a more sophisticated one that can do art quality prints.

If it's a basic one, go into the printer settings when about to print and find out what type of paper is suggested to use. Paper that has some sort of size/surface preparation that will stop the ink from sinking in, and dulling down your colours, is the one to choose.

Photo paper will give you a shiny or matt surface, but there may be others available if you go online and do some research.

I have an Epsom R3000, which is specifically for printing quality artwork and photos. It has a long list of papers you can use, but I still find some papers can print out dull. I can't be bothered trying to rejig (soft prooofing) the colours in my work, so I use the papers I know give the best results.

There are paper profiles I can download into Photoshop and the printer is supposed to respond to those, but I still find it's a bit hit and miss, and the paper is very expensive to do lots of experimenting with.

For my less important prints, I have an almost new laser printer which had a few colour issues on purchase, so I got onto the Fuji Xerox chat line, and she was wonderful. She took over my screen and we worked together to change the printer settings until we got the accurate colours I wanted. Above and beyond, I thought. So now I can print cards from my work that look great, and my printed lessons for my students are more accurate.

Maybe research your printer to see if you can do that?

Hope this helps, there may be others that have more to offer.

Thank you so much for your reply! I have a very basic inkjet printer. It might be time to upgrade.