ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: What?? Can't shrink the panels of the UI??

What?? Can't shrink the panels of the UI??

I just purchased and downloaded AR5 and my first step was to arrange the UI in the same way I used to do in AR3 Studio Pro. I couldn't find the setting panels to a proportion feature in the Preferences. I'm really annoyed. Is this feature disappeared or thre's another way to set this in AR5? Or I must toggle between large and obtrusive panels and no panels at all??
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com

Unfortunately it isn't possible; the UI had to be redesigned to support the operating system's resolution and display options and individual panel scaling was lost as part of that.

You do have some options to adjust the overall display in ArtRage.

1. Change your OS display settings and ArtRage will match it (obviously not ideal in all cases!)

2. Are you using Windows 10? If you are, the magnification/high DPI settings can cause problems. Use this workaround to avoid that: https://www.artrage.com/faqs/fix-blu...ce-windows-10/

3. Try going to View > Interface > Docking for a much smaller interface that lets you pop out/dock/hide any of the panels so that you don't have to deal with them taking over your screen.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Well, I`m not technically savvy as to understand why the development of an application has to mean to accept a step back from a nice feature, but I suppose I'll have to deal with it. I tried the docking mode and experienced to change tools from its minimalist pop up display and think I can live without the big tools corner in classic mode (at least I can keep the color wheel alive). Other surprises in the UI: while the presests panel became uncomfortable wide (not big deal: I use to adjust settings on the fly, so I can forget of the presets panel) the opacity knob in the layers panel has been shrinked to a really hard to manage size.
    These are just some first feelings with the new UI. I'm still about to experience the advances brought to AR5 from my old and faithfull Studio Pro. In general, I can say I'm not a fan of the minimalistic designs which seems to be the trend thse days (recently I noticed same orientation in the Sierra OS in my new Mac Mini). As a bearer of color defective perception (daltonism) I can't see some flat color differences when juxtaposed without lines or shadows to the aid. So, not always is true that "less is more". At least no for some of us.
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Row View Post
    Well, I`m not technically savvy as to understand why the development of an application has to mean to accept a step back from a nice feature, but I suppose I'll have to deal with it.
    The very basic explanation is that ArtRage handled its own displays internally before - but increasing the size led to blurry text because it was just stretching the display so it never *really* worked properly. Now it bases the display on the OS itself so the display should always look crisp and it avoids some other issues that would have become much worse as OS updates arrived, but that means less flexibility inside the program itself.

I tried the docking mode and experienced to change tools from its minimalist pop up display and think I can live without the big tools corner in classic mode (at least I can keep the color wheel alive). Other surprises in the UI: while the presests panel became uncomfortable wide (not big deal: I use to adjust settings on the fly, so I can forget of the presets panel) the opacity knob in the layers panel has been shrinked to a really hard to manage size.
    If you're using docking mode, the presets panel goes back to half size if docked; the main reason it changed is because it was too difficult to browse the groups before. The opacity knob is actually not much smaller than before but the design changed slightly - the circle is smaller, and you don't get the button shadow effect, but clicking anywhere in that area will let you change opacity so the 'active' area is still about the same (I literally went and complained about the exact same thing in testing, it's just the subtle design change tricking the eye - now I don't notice it at all).

These are just some first feelings with the new UI. I'm still about to experience the advances brought to AR5 from my old and faithfull Studio Pro. In general, I can say I'm not a fan of the minimalistic designs which seems to be the trend thse days (recently I noticed same orientation in the Sierra OS in my new Mac Mini). As a bearer of color defective perception (daltonism) I can't see some flat color differences when juxtaposed without lines or shadows to the aid. So, not always is true that "less is more". At least no for some of us.
    That's useful feedback, it's always helpful to know where people run into problems viewing the interface.

If you're specifically looking for new features like Layer Effects and Perspective to play with, start with this post: https://www.artrage.com/whats-new-in-artrage-5/

If you're still working much the same way, the main advantages for you will be speed and stability - the max canvas size is now 32,000 and everything should be faster and less likely to crash or damage your files if it does, Studio Pro struggled to reach 10,000 pixels on most computers at a reasonable painting speed. Even if you never need to go that large, you will see speed improvements at lower sizes - every single edition of ArtRage has been faster than the last one.

Also the docking mode, having multiple paintings open, some extra tool settings that were added in 4 and 5 (as you have skipped an edition here), and the Custom Brush. Some tools have actual new options (e.g. Pencil), others will just work better with a few UI improvements (e.g. Transform). Studio Pro will also gradually stop working properly with different OS updates and tablet drivers, so you get to avoid that!
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!