ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Palette knife flat/edge creating unexpected colours

Palette knife flat/edge creating unexpected colours

I've been avoiding flat/edge modes for the palette knife like fire because very often they seem to produce unwanted colours seemingly out of thin air. I am not sure if this is on purpose or a bug or if I'm simply misusing them, but I thought I might as well ask and hopefully stop being afraid

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	94043
    Before blending ^

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	94044
    After blending with Flat^ (Notice the shadow on the left apple seems yellow and red for some reason)

Using realistic blending or not doesnt seem to change much.

this is how oil-based brushes mix colors in artrage.
    you will get more or less same results with oils, paint roller, paint-tube and glitter - once you start blending those two, palette knife in the first two modes (I don't remember what they're called, but you should get the idea) because they are based on the same paint mixing algorithm.

you best bet to avoid this would be using pastel tool in wax mode, or using/creating a custom brush tool with color blending enabled; those two have more subdued blending.
    you can also use an aibrush tool, tweaked to your own taste, and just glaze stuff over wheen needed.

real color blending affects the way artrage mixes hues - not saturation, or value (thanks to @HannahRage for clarifying this)

Hmm I've never done any actual painting myself but I've watched others paint and I don't think it's how blending paints works in real life...

Aanyway thanks, now I know I should keep avoiding the flat/edge modes as much as I can

There are going to be a few odd colour blends that will throw out unexpected results, and you seem have hit on one of them. The fact saturation doesn't change (the way it might with real oils) means stuff that you would expect to be dull can come out very vivid. The blending also just picks up whatever the current colour is and blends that, so if you keep going over the same areas, the colour changes will get more and more dramatic.

You might want to try blending by painting over the area with the shade that you are trying to blend the other colours into (add loading on the palette knife or use a brush), it helps smooth things out and reduces the unexpected colour results while still letting you blend the paint itself.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Quote Originally Posted by Optymistyk View Post
    Hmm I've never done any actual painting myself but I've watched others paint and I don't think it's how blending paints works in real life...

Aanyway thanks, now I know I should keep avoiding the flat/edge modes as much as I can
    this is where investing into painting actually pays off, you can compensate for artrage's mixing shortcomings by correcting the off colors it gives you if you know what to expect from different pigments mixing in real life.

I mean you can avoid tools if that is your jush, but there really has been no shortage of color mixing threads here, often including explanations by AR team on possible workarounds/what might potentially come in this regard later in program development.