Thread: Custom Brush Presets Lag on Surface Pro

Custom Brush Presets Lag on Surface Pro

Hey. I could use some feedback if anyone has some. I'm trying to use the "Artistic" preset brushes that can be found under "Custom Brushes" and I'm experience tremendous lag. I'm working with the newest Surface Pro (2017) Intel i7, 8g ram. Stylus is the Surface Pen.

I get the lag with the regular brushes too.

What could be the problem?
    thanks in advance
    Robert
    Last edited by robfuzz; 10-23-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Try going into the Brush Designer from the Settings, third tab (Color) and turn off the Pick Up Color option? Does the lag mostly go away?

If it does, it's just a memory issue. Some of the Custom Brush settings can use a lot of memory, so you would want to reduce or avoid live color mixing, large brushes, stroke smoothing/opacity effects, or a very low dab spacing. The Artistic brushes usually use live color mixing, so that is probably why they are worse than the other presets.

*However* you should still be able to paint fairly normally, so if you still see lag no matter what you adjust, or with something like the normal Oil Brush (is that what you mean by 'regular brushes'?) then something else is going on. Can you try painting on a very small canvas and see if that makes a difference?

If adjusting the tools and canvas makes no difference, this might be a driver issue or something else, but check the memory hog settings first

It definitely seems like a memory issue. I fiddled in my Surface settings to try to free up ram and initially it would help in ArtRage but after a few minutes I'd get the lag again. I never had this problem on a Surface with AR before. All other art apps work fine although most are from the Windows Store. Desktop apps downloaded from somewhere else tend to be slower. When I check how much ram I'm using it never seems to go above half of my 8gb. I don't like the idea of hobbling AR as I like live color mixing. You mention driver issues. Could you explain more about that? Also, any hope of AR returning to the Windows Store?

Quote Originally Posted by robfuzz View Post
    ... initially it would help in ArtRage but after a few minutes I'd get the lag again.
    Okay, lag that starts *coming back* is something else. Either something is seriously chewing up memory or this is a random bug in something somewhere.

Can you check a few basic things for me to try and narrow this down?

1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Input and just disable everything. Restart ArtRage. Any change to the lag?
    2. How much memory is ArtRage using, and is this creeping up over time when you leave the program open/interact with it, or staying about the same?
    3. How much hard drive space do you have? (If you're almost out of physical memory or scratch disk space, that *could* be a factor)
    4. Can you try starting in Safe Mode? Any changes to the lag?

Quote Originally Posted by robfuzz View Post
    Also, any hope of AR returning to the Windows Store?
    The version on the Windows store was a very limited app designed to run on Windows 8 Metro (for devices that couldn't install desktop programs). Windows 10 made it pretty pointless, and also introduced a lot of compatibility issues, so it won't be coming back.