ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Quick Printing Quesiton

Quick Printing Quesiton

Hello, I am new to this.

So I am current painting something for my friends birthday and this will be the first time ever I print a digital artwork. I need to give him the file, and then he'll be paying to print at a local print shop.

How should I save my painting in order for him to do this. JPG, PNG, do I need to pass it to photoshop? Or do I need him to visit the shop and ask the employers there first in order to save my painting properly?

Print size Currently at, it's at 12 in by 16 in... 300 pixels/inch

thank you for your time!

Edit: no longer need the help, thank you for the input i've gotten so far!
    Last edited by juanmedina; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:39 PM.

can anyone help me?

If it was for a professional commission, it would sometimes be appropriate they had the original file. But in the case of a birthday present, if it was me I'd go get it printed myself and present him with it wrapped. So much more personal for a birthday than just a file arriving by email.

300dpi (dots per inch for the printer) is the best way to go for printing. Check with your print shop what their specifications are and go by that for your image. Alternatively, he will have to go check all that out. And if he gets the original file, it's possible he may use the image for other purposes in which case you need to know what.

Others here might have different advice. This is just how I would approach it.

sadly, he lives to far for me to do that so the only way is for him to do it himself haha =/. thanks again for your input and for replying, much appreciated!

You could also use an online printing service, these will deliver (e.g. Snapfish, any Print on Demand site) and you can preview it before ordering. Online sites will have image size requirements so you will be able to check if the file is big enough.

But it should be fairly straightforward; a JPG file is fine if they do not need to modify it, a PNG file will be suitable if it might need further editing, and the file size you describe should be fine for small to medium prints, and probably larger. That size converts to 3600x4800 pixels, and I would happily print an A3 poster at that size.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

i see, alright. Thank you for the idea, I'll check it out. Also, thank you for the information about my painting size, was very informative and helpful ^.^