Thread: Fur glazing prototype

Fur glazing prototype

I've been looking for tutorials on glazing in art rage (especially fur glazing) but found none, so I'm basically experimenting with applying traditional glazing techniques in artrage. I have never been working in traditional media and I have certainly never done glazing before, so I'm not really experienced with the subject matter and on top of that I'm working digitally - unlike all the artists I've been watching online. I think it's my 4th attempt, and every attempt takes a long, long time because I'm trying to learn as much as I can, so I'm just trying a bunch of different things and seeing what sticks, not even trying to complete the painting (altho it would be nice if I did sometime this century). Anyway here are my latest results:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foxhead.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	93961
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fox7.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	93962

(I'd send you a ptg file but it says it's too large :/)

Just thought I'd ask what you guys think, especially if you have some past glazing experiences.

You may have missed it but there is one AR tutorial about glazing. It is from a long time back (AR2 I think) but the method still applies.
    You can find it here: https://forums.artrage.com/attachmen...9&d=1173559824
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

I've seen this tutorial before, but I find it lackluster at best. It's basically "Use tint layers, duh!". It doesn't help with painting something as complex as animal fur

By the way, here's one thing I still can't solve myself and I thought I'd just ask - in glazing how do you know what color to use? I mean, my shadows are dark purple, my skin is dark brown, my lights are slightly yellow and when you glaze over it it all mixes and doesn't look quite right. I've spent sooooo much time picking the color and it still seems way off.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by glazing. Are you trying to get it all the same tone, or .... ?

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by glazing. Are you trying to get it all the same tone, or .... ?
    Glazing is a traditional technique where you first try to get the tonal values right, sometimes even working in greyscale, and then you put several thin layers of transparent paint for the color. You can search in google "oil paint glazing"

Yes, I know that in natural media, I'm an artist myself.

Just wondering whether that was what you were trying to achieve digitally.

You can just set your Ink Pen Blend mode to Colour, select the colour you want and paint away. Make sure everything is on the same layer and then Lock the Transparency, so you don't paint outside your work edges.

Name:  IMG_1057.JPG
Views: 517
Size:  18.9 KB