Thread: Distribute oil paint equally

Distribute oil paint equally

Hi,
    I'm playing around with glazing so I need my paint to be half-transparent, but with half-transparent oil brush when two strokes overlap (or even if a single stroke overlaps with itself - for example a back-and-forth stroke) the paint in that spot becomes thicker, making it less transparent . I want to have a large area of oil paint of consistent transparency, how do I go about that?

You won't be able to do that with the oil brush, but you can maybe do it with the following tools (these all let you set a specific opacity, or blend evenly):

- Watercolor (InstaDry on)
    - Airbrush (turn Autoflow off, adjust Hardness and Opacity)
    - Gloop Pen
    - Ink Pen
    - Custom Brush (using 100% Grain Progression so the pattern covers the background evenly, rather than overlapping with each stroke)

But only with the same stroke (as soon as you start a new stroke, it will overlap the previous one).

You might find it easier to paint at much lower thinners on a separate layer and then reduce the opacity of that entire layer. The overlapping strokes won't be an issue if you have enough paint on the brush.

Name:  oil brush glazing layer opacity.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  54.3 KB

You could also use the palette knife to go over your strokes and smooth them out afterwards.

Name:  oil brush glazing palette knife blending.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  28.4 KB

I recall AR user fashmir did a brief tutorial about Glazing in AR a long time back which may be of interest.
    You can find it here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...9&d=1173559824
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram