ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: dabbing flat brush

dabbing flat brush

I want to make a brush or a sticker spray that would mimic the effect of dabbing a flat brush mainly for painting leaves. Something like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYT-Kdjq1bY&t=358s

But I don't know where to get a proper picture for the brush head. In fact I have no idea where to get any pictures of a single brush dab. I thought it would be a simple matter of typing "brush dab" in google but actually I can't find anything usable. Any tips?

Huh, you're right. It's very easy to find stroke examples, but not dabs. You will probably be best off painting the dab shape by hand; use the Oil Brush to get something close to what you want and just paint in any more details.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Quote Originally Posted by Optymistyk View Post
    But I don't know where to get a proper picture for the brush head. In fact I have no idea where to get any pictures of a single brush dab. I thought it would be a simple matter of typing "brush dab" in google but actually I can't find anything usable. Any tips?
    look up "brush mark", you'll have at least a couple useable images that way.

I scan my own gouache brush marks, and later use them in whatever package I need custom brushes for; doesn't take much time and can be done even with a basic phone camera instead of a scanner.

I scan my own gouache brush marks, and later use them in whatever package I need custom brushes for; doesn't take much time and can be done even with a basic phone camera instead of a scanner.
    Heheh, I guess I'll have to do it that way, altho I have no history with traditional media so no brushes,no paint, no canvases etc. I'll just buy a brush and some basic black paint for this one dab i guess.

Hello Optymistyk,
    Not sure if this is really the sort of thing you are actually looking for but a while back I made a bunch of Sticker Spray presets for mimicking foliage.
    Maybe there is something in here that could be of use to you: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...026#post491026
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello Optymistyk, Not sure if this is really the sort of thing you are actually looking for but a while back I made a bunch of Sticker Spray presets for mimicking foliage. Maybe there is something in here that could be of use to you: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...026#post491026
    Actualy I already have your package installed and I like it very much. I just wanted to try something different, something more painterly, bit more like Bob Ross or something. But thanks!