Thread: How to change the colour of a mono-coloured image

How to change the colour of a mono-coloured image

Hi, Say for example i painted an apple in the colour green, and i was happy with the design etc and i wanted a replica but just in a different colour. Rather than having to repeat the drawing (which would then obviously not be precisely the same), how would i change the apple to a different colour, say pink?

It must be a simple thing to do, i just don't know how!

Thank you

There are several ways to do this, depending on which version of ArtRage you have and exactly what effect you want.

If you have AR4 or 5, go to Edit > Filters > Adjust Layer Colors and literally just slide the 'Hue' slider around to change the colour of the green layer.

The Fill tool will let you tint an area of colour with varying opacity.

A Selection or Stencil will let you repaint inside that area, handy for limiting the spread of the Fill tool, or if you actually want to repaint bits.

Painting on a layer above set to 'Color' blend mode will let you paint a new colour without changing any details.

Hi,
    Thanks for your help, but i don't understand what you mean when you say 'Painting on a layer above set to 'Color' blend mode will let you paint a new colour without changing any details.'
    Could you explain further please? xx

Quote Originally Posted by peachylife View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for your help, but i don't understand what you mean when you say 'Painting on a layer above set to 'Color' blend mode will let you paint a new colour without changing any details.'
    Could you explain further please? xx
    If you add a new layer and paint on it, the paint will normally cover the details below. If you set that layer to a blend mode, it will instead interact with the paint below to add a certain effect. Select the 'Color' blend mode and it will 'tint' the image below with that color.

You can find the blend modes in the menu options for layers (though the full range isn't available in Lite if you are using that).