ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Let's make pencil drawing more powerful...

Let's make pencil drawing more powerful...

Hello,

During drawing "Yvonne" portrait ( http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=6003 ) , I had some experiences and thoughts...
    So, I will write about them...

Wouldn't it be cool to have some more options for "Pencil" drawing in ArtRage? I mean e.g. using pencil's native names/types like a HB, 2H, 3H, etc. Perhaps that would be more intuitive... and that's what ALIAS SKETCHBOOK 2 already has.

I'd also welcome something like a "pencil blender" or "blending stump" ...

I found out the eraser tool wasn't useful to erase a part of drawing (to make it less opaque and a bit softer)...

And finally, I also wait for adding "Horizontal Mirror" function in AR - as I can see on the forum, quite many people have requested this feature already... Checking proportions from time to time is essential and when I export picture to another editor with this function, I'd lose some paper settings for the future use, I afraid...

I hope to see most of these requests done in the next version of ArtRage!

I think you can hold H to flip the canvas to check proportions. You can also blend SLIGHTLY with the pallete knife, albeit only on heavily used pencil.

I agree that grading pencil presets would be quite nifty for quickly getting the right setting.

Rather than cluttering up a toolbar with a lot of presets specific to a single tool, since you can already adjust the pencil grade to whatever you think is a good approximation of say, a "2h" pencil...

It would be a better to simply make the number keys available for tool presets for every tool, that you can call whatever you wish. This adds nothing else to the toolbar, lets you determine for yourself the pencil presets you want to work with( as opposed to sombody else calling a setting a "2H" that you may find you dont like at all), as well as making the functionality availiable for every other tool.

Ive been wanting to be able to save my own custom brushes on hotkeys for some time, theres no reason the same thing wouldnt work for pencils, and it doesnt add any bloat.

Scottc i really like your idea, i like working with the pencil, but i'm not sure whats an hard or soft or something in the middle.

So your idea would really help.
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC
    Rather than cluttering up a toolbar with a lot of presets specific to a single tool, since you can already adjust the pencil grade to whatever you think is a good approximation of say, a "2h" pencil...
    Well, it's not about adding a lot of presets anyway. Take a look at Alias Sketchbook 2's solution - there is a standard slider for pencil's size AND it shows what it could be named as standard terminology, e.g. brushsize 15 pix = 2B or something like that. This doesn't take too much space on the canvas. Since ArtRage is to be mimicking real tools it would be real handy to have something like real pencil's name, especially for somebody who drew with non-computer tools before ...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC
    Ive been wanting to be able to save my own custom brushes on hotkeys for some time
    yeah, an option for creating/using own brushes would be tempting and useful for sure!