Thread: Tiny (I think) feature request around brush sizes

Tiny (I think) feature request around brush sizes

Hi, I'm starting some work at somewhat larger sizes than my earlier work (4'x3' or more at 300ppi), and I've hit a couple of things that I'd like to request that are probably way easier than my earlier ones about colours in the oil brush:

1) Could resizing from the tool picker could go above 100%? 100% is pretty tiny at 14400x10800; maybe this could be a preference?
    2) Also if brushes could go over 500%? Maybe to 1000%?
    3) This last one is easy to fix and is maybe more of a note: on my mac the +/-10% tool commands didn't work for me; when I remapped them it recognized the as shift+{} instead of shift+[].

Quote Originally Posted by mr_reidpants View Post
    Hi, I'm starting some work at somewhat larger sizes than my earlier work (4'x3' or more at 300ppi), and I've hit a couple of things that I'd like to request that are probably way easier than my earlier ones about colours in the oil brush:

1) Could resizing from the tool picker could go above 100%? 100% is pretty tiny at 14400x10800; maybe this could be a preference?
    2) Also if brushes could go over 500%? Maybe to 1000%?
    Larger tool sizes is something that we are thinking about, but require a LOT of memory (so will not work on most devices) and for us to rewrite how some of the tools work. It's a 'maybe but probably only in a future edition alongside some major changes' thing. The tool picker itself caps at 100% currently because it's the 'safe' range of sizes for most computers (accidentally dragging up to 500% could cause serious problems for some users) and because you need much finer control in the 0-100% range, especially as most people will not be working on very large canvases and need to adjust from 30% to 45% more than they would from 370% to 450%.

That said, ArtRage 5 runs a lot faster in general and it may be something we can safely change somehow going forward. We'll probably be looking at the tool picker scale alongside any larger changes to tool sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_reidpants View Post
    3) This last one is easy to fix and is maybe more of a note: on my mac the +/-10% tool commands didn't work for me; when I remapped them it recognized the as shift+{} instead of shift+[].
    Noted! Ha, technically it is shift + { because that's what holding shift and [ does, I guess macs don't like that.https://forums.artrage.com/newreply....9910&noquote=1

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Larger tool sizes is something that we are thinking about, but require a LOT of memory (so will not work on most devices) and for us to rewrite how some of the tools work. It's a 'maybe but probably only in a future edition alongside some major changes' thing. The tool picker itself caps at 100% currently because it's the 'safe' range of sizes for most computers (accidentally dragging up to 500% could cause serious problems for some users) and because you need much finer control in the 0-100% range, especially as most people will not be working on very large canvases and need to adjust from 30% to 45% more than they would from 370% to 450%.

That said, ArtRage 5 runs a lot faster in general and it may be something we can safely change somehow going forward. We'll probably be looking at the tool picker scale alongside any larger changes to tool sizes.
    Fair; I was mainly hoping for a little text box in the advanced preferences with a warning about silly values that only appears in the windows and os x versions; my macbook pro is still decent and my new desktop is a monster that I'd really like to take for a walk. On this painting I'm not likely to use a brush under 85% and I'll probably mostly be working in the 200-450 range (I found with the pencil tool that when I draw zoomed out the gesture is jittery when I zoom in, so the need for >500 is mitigated by the technical limitations of my stylus). Not being able to use the colour picker feels kind of bad in the workflow because the shift-drag and shift-{} are comparatively awkward.