Thread: Tools preset panel not showing in Top Menu bar during Docking mode & wasted space!

Exclamation Tools preset panel not showing in Top Menu bar during Docking mode & wasted space!

Hi

Tools preset panel does not show in the Top Menu Bar during Docking Mode. (image attached) I don't always want the Tool presets panel to be open and would be expected to get it via Tool menu bar.
    I know one can get to it either via Menu/View or via Tool select panel but that's too long and defeats the point of getting to a panel quickly.

The other thing is, when the Tool Presets panels is open, there is a lot of wasted space in the "group" column (please see attached image) ... can't all the other Tools just be added below each other for easy access "all in one"? (eg. Ils brushes, W/C brushes, Palette knives, ... etc)

TIA
    Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preset wasted space.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	93852  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You can also open the presets from Settings; it's still an extra click, but the presets are a subset of Settings anyway and we did need to minimise the icons in Docking Mode (there is a lot of space on wide screens, but very little on some monitors or a Surface turned vertically). Feedback is noted, though!

The empty space on the left is where the list of Groups will go. The Ink Pen only has a single group, but if you look at the Custom Brush or the Sticker Spray you'll see why that space is needed. You're free to organise the presets into as many different groups as you like, so it is really up to you how that space is used. The sidebar does vanish if you dock the presets, so you can shrink it that way.

Unfortunately that's just a trade off between usability and size; many people did not even know you could create or change between different preset groups and the old dropdown was difficult to browse.

Hi Hannah

Thank you for your feedback.
    The Presets is more a subset of the "tools" panel. If an artist has all his tools already saved and set out, the "presets" is very vital for smooth and natural work flow without having to go though unnecessary clicks. And getting to the Presets through the Settings panel is more than just one click, it's then moving down the "menu" of the settings, and then still having to choose from just a list instead of easily being able to select from the Presets panel which is made easy by the Large thumbnails and ease of use once in the Presets panel.
    The Presets panel is vital to ALL to tools used so to me it is a very important panel that gets used all the time and so think it should be given priority in the docking shortcuts. Way for used and important than for instance the "tracing" panel and even the "persepctive" and "reference" panel, of which thos e would be used way less. (once you have your tracing, reference or perspective set, they are hardly seldom needed again).
    For these reason PLEASE consider making the Presets panel a shortcut in the docking menu.
    And actually I feel the same away about the toolbox panel which is also very important as one would use that panel all the time but it has no docking menu shortcut.
    Thanks

Hello Rogueblue,
    I don’t know what input methods you typically have to hand while painting but you could maybe mitigate some of the problems here by setting up key command short cuts to open the Toolbox and Presets panels as and when they are needed.
    To set your own key commands for them go to: Edit > Set Keyboard Shortcuts…
    Perhaps not the perfect solution for you but could perhaps speedup access to those panels.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rogueblue View Post
    The Presets is more a subset of the "tools" panel. If an artist has all his tools already saved and set out, the "presets" is very vital for smooth and natural work flow without having to go though unnecessary clicks.

While I'm not arguing that it wouldn't be useful to have a more accessible presets and toolbox panel:

- some of this is very much down to individual workflow. Some people never use presets or only use them for certain tools, but need to constantly adjust the original settings.
    - if you need to switch presets/tools a lot, it is usually going to be easier to just leave the preset panel docked at the side anyway
    - you can access presets via other menus, but you cannot do that with other features (stencils and references are entirely separate things for example) so it makes less sense to hide one of those tools (and this is a workflow thing again; people use different features differently and potentially need quick access to all of them).

It's something we'll bear in mind for the future, but there was some logical reasoning behind it

Hi Hannah

The problem is being able to easily access tools and presets and returning to work area quickly with least interruption (searching for tools or presets etc).

Ok so we can't get the Presets panel and Toolbox attached to the top shortcut menu like the other panels.
    So now I leave them open, and the Preset panel taking up a lot of space. So I try an alternative and try having the panels all open and have a short cut on my Wacom assigned to "Hide all panels" so I can quickly jump between panels and an open "fullscreen" work area ... but guess what now, the Presets and Toolbar panel that have not been given a shortcut from the top menu bar, do NOT collapse/hide!!
    It's so frustrating. Can't something be done about this?
    Actually I've discovered that any panel that is open but not docked, remains open when selected "Hide/collapse panels" ... this defeats the purpose of wanting to hide all panels!
    Can you guy PLEASE find a solution/option here where artists can quickly access all open panels, then hide all panels whether docked or not.
    Please!
    Last edited by Rogueblue; 10-20-2017 at 02:15 AM.

screenshot of Artrage with "panels hide/collapse" option with Presets & Toolbox panel open .. All panels need to be able to close on this option
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artrage 5 issue2.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	93971