Thread: Simba

Simba

My daughter's family dog died a few weeks ago. He was drowned by a kangaroo in a dam on their property. There was a group of kangaroos in a paddock and the dogs chased them. The buck jumped into the dam - kangaroos can swim - and Simba went in after him. Dogs can swim too but they don't know to hold their breath when being pushed under. My daughter and her husband were unable to intervene in time. Simba was really just a big pup at 15mths old.

My daughter asked if I could paint a picture of him. You probably wonder about his pink nose - it's zinc cream to protect him from skin cancer as his white hair was very fine on his muzzle and his skin would be easily burnt.

Name:  Simba.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  348.4 KB

And here is the reference photo I had to work from.

Name:  lakeside (8) (2).png
Views: 294
Size:  146.2 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

OMG. Only from Australia would come a story like that. Very sorry for her loss.

I was certainly wondering at the pink on the nose. I take it there were indications that cancer was likely or happening already? I've never heard of that in dogs or any animal for that matter.

Nice tribute painting.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Yep, male kangaroos can be dangerous to humans too. However, I guess he was just protecting his mob.

Dogs abd cats with white hair and pink skin can get sunburnt on their ears and tops of their noses. We had a tri-colour collie whose nose wasn't fully black and the vet tattooed it - we also had to apply sunscreen to protect his skin in that area. Aust. has one of the highest incidence of skin cancer in humans.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]