Thread: Simple Color Checker

Simple Color Checker

I'd love a tool which can be used as a simple color checker anywhere on the screen.

Perhaps as a separate tool it would be a simple disc which has the same color as the current color... it would be located at the cursor and could be moved over the painting or a reference or scraps or views to enable the user to judge the color by eye.

A hotkey (requiring one to hold down similar to the way the color picker tool is activated by the "alt" key) bound to the color checker would be very useful for quickly making the sure the current color is appropriate for whatever I am about to do regardless of what the current tool actually is or even where the cursor is.

I'm not quite sure if this is what you are after, but try pressing 'ctrl + alt'

Yes, I recall that thing! It is useful for checking color on the canvas. What I'm after is very similar but I'd like it to work anywhere on the screen... i.e. over references, scraps, and views as well.

This real world color checker is a perfect example of why/how a color checker is useful for learning to see colors and painting by eye

https://youtu.be/_QFx5h4en0Q

I'm actually trying to use ArtRage to slowly learn how to paint... (insofar as it is possible) the way a pilot or an F1 racer uses a simulator to learn/practice flying or driving...

Thank you for I think I might incorporate that "pop up" picker into my current work flow.

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    I'm not quite sure if this is what you are after, but try pressing 'ctrl + alt'
    I remember coming across the 'pop out' color picker but I can't find it now - pressing 'ctrl + alt' isn't doing it for me. What am I not doing right?
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

@DarkOwnt

You might want to google for a system wide colour sampler tool/app. I suspect there's something out there to serve this purpose.

If you're using a Mac, there's a little tool in the utilities folder called 'Digital Color Meter' that gives you an RGB readout for the pixel wherever the mouse is. It will also let you copy that colour as an image which you can paste it into your painting to sample it in there.

I assume there's something similar for windows but might be wrong, I frequently am

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    I remember coming across the 'pop out' color picker but I can't find it now - pressing 'ctrl + alt' isn't doing it for me. What am I not doing right?
    Are you using the windows version? Is your cursor somewhere on the canvas?

Hello Bertrude:

I am looking for something to do it by eye. I'm happy with ArtRage's current color picker.

Hi June,
    You have to do a Left Click while holding down the keys.
    And of course on a Mac the two keys are; cmd + alt/Option
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks, Mark - and of course I have to have the color sampler activated.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]