Thread: Removing a layer from a group

Removing a layer from a group

I'm sure this is a 'easy once you know the knack' kind of question.

It's easy putting layers into groups but I'm having trouble taking them out, especially while keeping them in the same ordering.

I have worked out that you can drag the layer a few up or down, hold it in its new position for a while (a second?) and then Artrage seems to know I want to take that layer out of a group and it obeys my orders. But sometimes I want to remove a layer from a group without changing its order. In this case, I keep right clicking to see if I've missed an 'ungroup layer' option. Is there such a thing?

Have I correctly identified how to ungroup a layer (the hold it in place for a second thing)?
    Is there a shortcut/trick I have missed when it comes to ungrouping?

I don't remember having a problem with this previously, but after six months of exclusively using a Photoshop type program I've gotten used to their way of grouping layers. Artrage's way of grouping and ungrouping has poofed right outta my brain.

Hello SHL,
    I think my brain is a little dull at the moment, so forgive me if I have misunderstood you here!

Essentially getting Layers out of a Group is just doing the reverse of getting them in. i.e. dragged out one at a time to where you want them.
    There is no automatic ordering of Layers in AR so it’s up to the user to re-stack them in the correct order in their new location.

...“I have worked out that you can drag the layer a few up or down, hold it in its new position for a while (a second?) and then ArtRage seems to know I want to take that layer out of a group and it obeys my orders.”...
    This has me scratching my head a bit as I don't think I’ve ever experienced this behaviour in AR

...“But sometimes I want to remove a layer from a group without changing its order.”...
    I think this is impossible! Isn’t it
    When you take a layer out of a group it has to go above or bellow the Group it just came from in the Layer stack. Even if it is going into another Group, that Group will also have a position in the stack higher or lower relative to where the layer was dragged from.

As for an “Un-Group” command, no you haven’t missed it, we don’t have one!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Hi Mark,

I know it sounds impossible, but I think I've done it before without really undrestanding how. Perhaps it's a matter of holding it in place 2 seconds, not 1? I don't know. After I posted this question I did manage to do it but can't definitively say how.

I know it sounds like a small thing, but when you're working with lots and lots of layers, it's a bit of a pain when you need to shift them around. I was working with an underwater scene last week and I shifted about five different layers of water detail. I'm still not sure I managed to get them back into their original order., which looked about 10 per cent better.

For now I've taken the lesson that I need to manually number things like that when renaming them. I really do want functionality whereby I can remove the bottom layer from a group to a position immediately below the group.

Hello again,
    Humm... Well if you do ever figure out repeatable steps do post them, I would love to know!

I know what you mean about working with large layer groups, layer management can be trying at times in AR. Selecting multiple layers and then grouping them would be a god send! Rather than having to drag layers around one at a time.

Ah, proper layer/group naming. We all know we should do it as we work and we all just let it slide because we’er having too much fun with the paint!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Doesn't help when you're a merge-a-phobe. (If that's not a word it should be.)