Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What pen/stylus do I need?

What pen/stylus do I need?

I recently bought the HP Pavilion Touch screen desktop. Artrage 5 works beautifully with my finger, but I would like to try a pen/stylus instead.

As far as I can gather I need an 'active' pen/stylus. It is amazingly difficult to find straight up no nonsense information as to what the requirements for such a stylus would be (the HP website is of little help)

I'm hoping some tech savvy soul here would be able to point me in the right direction!

TIA!

Charne (aka Meisie)

I don't know of this will help but you could try: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05166879

If you go to the 'Consumer computers compatible with HP pens and styluses' section, you might be able to determine if your model will work with one of those pens.

Apologies if you've already done that without any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrude View Post
    I don't know of this will help but you could try: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05166879

If you go to the 'Consumer computers compatible with HP pens and styluses' section, you might be able to determine if your model will work with one of those pens.

Apologies if you've already done that without any luck.
    Thank you for your help! Yes I have been there, and no it helped somewhat, but not really LOL

I know better what I need to look for though. The computer is not listed in the section you mention. Or again it may be, but with a different name/ number. I find things are never the same between online info and real life info. Too many variations.

BUT! I greatly appreciate your help and effort and now I know for sure I need a passive(capacitive) stylus!

I call that progress!

C

To the best of my knowledge the passive styluses are just those rubber-tipped thingies and wouldn't work any better than your finger, aside from not smearing the screen with skin oils. On the plus side, these are cheap to get and try out, but that's a bit of a shame as ArtRage and other drawing apps are so much better when you have something that can register different levels of pressure like an active stylus or graphics tablet with one.

I know it sounds obvious but if you're unsure about your PC's model number, I'd contact HP and ask - hopefully you'll get a knowledgable response. Also, if you can find your particular model on their site and the pen is absent from the various accessories they're trying to flog for it, then yep it probably won't work with one (an active one, that is).

Good luck!
    Last edited by Bertrude; 08-31-2017 at 07:54 AM.

I used a Sensu stylus brush with my HP Pavillion touchscreen all in one desktop. Has a brush on one end and you remove a cover to reveal a rubber tip on the other end http://www.sensubrush.com Compatible with AR and feels like a paintbrush.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrude View Post
    To the best of my knowledge the passive styluses are just those rubber-tipped thingies and wouldn't work any better than your finger, aside from not smearing the screen with skin oils. On the plus side, these are cheap to get and try out, but that's a bit of a shame as ArtRage and other drawing apps are so much better when you have something that can register different levels of pressure like an active stylus or graphics tablet with one.

I know it sounds obvious but if you're unsure about your PC's model number, I'd contact HP and ask - hopefully you'll get a knowledgable response. Also, if you can find your particular model on their site and the pen is absent from the various accessories they're trying to flog for it, then yep it probably won't work with one (an active one, that is).

Good luck!
    That's right yes...the pressure sensitivity is what I hope to achieve. With the Bamboo tablet I have that (on the old computer), I was hoping to go touch screen hands-on without having to get one of those drawing monitors (which would be nice, but expensive! Yikes!)

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    I used a Sensu stylus brush with my HP Pavillion touchscreen all in one desktop. Has a brush on one end and you remove a cover to reveal a rubber tip on the other end http://www.sensubrush.com Compatible with AR and feels like a paintbrush.
    June that sounds very very interesting! My only question is about the pressure sensitivity. Does the Sensu allow for that? I do do watercolour, but I also sketch a lot (pencil) and for that pressure sensitivity is vital. I gather between the lines that the Sensu is not. It never states that it is. Or that it isn't. ugh...

Thank you so much for your feedback....got the Sensu in my Amazon basket, just want to do a little more research! But this is the most promising stylus I've seen so far.

Hi Meisie, unfortunately, Sensu doesn't have pressure sensitivity. However, Hannah has given you some suggestions for suitable styli/styluses in the other post.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    Hi Meisie, unfortunately, Sensu doesn't have pressure sensitivity. However, Hannah has given you some suggestions for suitable styli/styluses in the other post.
    Yes she has! I'm thinking it would be helpful to have a thread with all this type of info in one place as the help etc only talks about iPad compatible styli. Thank you so much for your help. The Sensu looks like such a nice stylus. I may have to put it on a Christmas wishlist anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Meisie View Post
    Yes she has! I'm thinking it would be helpful to have a thread with all this type of info in one place as the help etc only talks about iPad compatible styli. Thank you so much for your help. The Sensu looks like such a nice stylus. I may have to put it on a Christmas wishlist anyway
    The main reason we have a guide to iPad styluses and not anything else is because we specifically have to add support in the app for those - Windows/Android versions depend purely on whether the device itself supports the stylus, ArtRage doesn't selectively support them.