Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Alla Prima challenge

Ah! That makes perfect sense. I think pre-painting a canvas with a color and letting it dry is something traditional painters do sometimes. The word for it eludes me. Thanks for clearing that up! Since the pear itself was in one layer it still qualifies as a simulation of alla prima! Cheers!

Absolutely incredible work. If it was posted somewhere else I would think that it`s a real oils on a real canvas. Thank you for you challenge advice! I should definitly try it.

OK so I took another run at this... trying to stay looser than the first attempt. Brushwork looks sloppy and it still looks digital to me... I haven't a clue what I'm doing wrong or how to do it right.

Looking at the real painting by Carter, and seeing how lush organic and messy the simple broad strokes are ... kinda just frustrates me to no end.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pear study 2.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	94242
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 11-22-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    Spoiler Alert: * * * I Cheated * * *

Now that I have gotten that off my chest; I want to explain why, this time I cheated: Traditional painting and digital painting are miles apart in capability. We can do whatever we want with a click of the pen. We can paint as real or as fake as we want using any tool: Oil, Pallet Knife, Eraser, Blender, Tracing, Tracing Colors, References, Canvas settings/colors, yada, yada, yada. I exploited every one of these tools to come up with this image in 25 minutes with two layers.

My next painting, which should take "much" more time will be using the carder method which dictates that we should visualize a spot of the reference, select it's color using a "physical" color checker then paint even, smooth, small strokes of paint with as little blending on the canvas as is possible. When you see my next painting (which will be later on this weekend; I have some chores to do) you will laugh at my true abilities! ArtRage gives us super-human capabilities that only people that have years of training and abilities can make their paintings look like real pears in a painterly fashion!

Attachment 93677

PS: I know that I suck as a painter and I have many years of study ahead of me.

Now that you professionals have painted real paintings how about showing us your ArtRage version?

Hello HwyStar... still waiting and hoping for your second version of the pear, the painterly pear using the Carder method!!

(As you can see I am struggling to get the real painterly messy brush stroke effects which are easy with real paint... any tips would be helpful)

As for the "ArtRage" version of the pear that is something I will probably do as well.

Hi dark Owl got there in the end ok CIAO SLAINTE

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the death ofa pear.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	94260  

Hah! Very fresh looking pear! Good one. Cheers!

Hi guys,

I'm new here, but have been familiar with ArtRage for a while and used it on my tablet, but the real thing is that I just got it for my desktop which I wanted in the first place. Big thanks to the sales they had going on.

Okay, back to the point here, I was surfing thru this forum and saw this thread. Thought it was a tremendous and fastest way to get used to ArtRage so here I am with my pear-y (yeah you read that right, pear-y!) piece!

However, I'd like to mention that I have some experiences with real oil painting and I was frustrated with few things in ArtRage:

- The brushes vary a lot in size with pressure - is there a way to make it more constant? I know my long flat brushes, for example, are more or less constant in its size.
    - With real oil, it was super easy to blend and use almost no load to add subtle detail. In ArtRage that was nearly impossible with one stroke. Dirty, thick or with thinner didn't work, same for low load. A custom brush may make it possible, but still, maybe one of you know the trick for that?
    - Knife, it only blends specific area. It seems like if I over-blend it with my brush, it becomes too dry for anything to blend with.... is that true for you guys? How do I avoid this?

Thanks guys,

Your pieces are great and inspiring! I do know the frustration of not being able to do loose strokes. I am facing the same problem!

Name:	GWiQfaE.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	94368

Quote Originally Posted by Dm7 View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm new here, but have been familiar with ArtRage for a while and used it on my tablet, but the real thing is that I just got it for my desktop which I wanted in the first place. Big thanks to the sales they had going on.

Okay, back to the point here, I was surfing thru this forum and saw this thread. Thought it was a tremendous and fastest way to get used to ArtRage so here I am with my pear-y (yeah you read that right, pear-y!) piece!

However, I'd like to mention that I have some experiences with real oil painting and I was frustrated with few things in ArtRage:

- The brushes vary a lot in size with pressure - is there a way to make it more constant? I know my long flat brushes, for example, are more or less constant in its size.
    - With real oil, it was super easy to blend and use almost no load to add subtle detail. In ArtRage that was nearly impossible with one stroke. Dirty, thick or with thinner didn't work, same for low load. A custom brush may make it possible, but still, maybe one of you know the trick for that?
    - Knife, it only blends specific area. It seems like if I over-blend it with my brush, it becomes too dry for anything to blend with.... is that true for you guys? How do I avoid this?

Thanks guys,

Your pieces are great and inspiring! I do know the frustration of not being able to do loose strokes. I am facing the same problem!

Name:	GWiQfaE.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	94368
    Excellent pear! I really like how you reinterpreted it in a classic slightly brown cast, it makes the paint look more somber and the work more dark and classical (hope my description makes sense!).

Thank you for your honest feedback about the software. Software developers need to hear what artists and users are looking for, what they like, what frustrations they have etc. Generally a software developer would not have any idea what to focus on or improve if they did not know what was important to their users!! So good on you for being HONEST.

Just an idea, when giving feedback and asking for tips, on the forum, as a real painter you have a unique opportunity to submit snaps of REAL PAINT with your questions. Trying to do something that real paint does? you can easily show what you mean with a little snapshot of the stroke. Want to make suggestions or add to the wishlist for ArtRage something which real paint or brushes exhibit? submit them with a little photo of the real thing! Lot's of good close-ups would be awesome! It's something we don't see enough of around here. With so much talk about "real" media and "real" oil paint... it is probably true that only a minority of folks here really have any exposure to real paint... your providing examples would be a BOON to this forum and also to the development of the software IMHO.

Cheers!!!

Thank you DarkOwnt, yes you make sense.

Do developers even look at this forum? Just wondering. I'm not sure if I can pull it off, but I'll try my best to compare ArtRage with oil painting whenever I can. I'll have to keep my camera next to me when I paint and remember to take some pictures.

I am aware that I can use custom brushes to do it, in fact, I used that to make my next piece, the one with watermelon, but it doesn't have that impasto effect like it does with real oil brushes. So yeah, there are some workarounds, but still some pros and cons about it.

I'm just more of a nitpicker - mind ya, ArtRage is one of the best software that comes the closest to oil feeling.

Color mixing is another story... hahaha I'd imagine it's hard to develop proper behavior since some pigments are more transparent by nature than others and that alters everything. That's what keeps oil painting exciting for me. It's like brewing with chemicals to see what happen.

Sorry for my rambling! I loved your thread and I hope we can do more of alla prima challenges in the future. I think it's a great way for us all to learn and improve.

Still waiting for HS to do a painterly pear using the Carder method.