Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alla Prima challenge

Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    Spoiler Alert: * * * I Cheated * * *

Now that I have gotten that off my chest; I want to explain why, this time I cheated: Traditional painting and digital painting are miles apart in capability. We can do whatever we want with a click of the pen. We can paint as real or as fake as we want using any tool: Oil, Pallet Knife, Eraser, Blender, Tracing, Tracing Colors, References, Canvas settings/colors, yada, yada, yada. I exploited every one of these tools to come up with this image in 25 minutes with two layers.

My next painting, which should take "much" more time will be using the carder method which dictates that we should visualize a spot of the reference, select it's color using a "physical" color checker then paint even, smooth, small strokes of paint with as little blending on the canvas as is possible. When you see my next painting (which will be later on this weekend; I have some chores to do) you will laugh at my true abilities! ArtRage gives us super-human capabilities that only people that have years of training and abilities can make their paintings look like real pears in a painterly fashion!

Attachment 93677

PS: I know that I suck as a painter and I have many years of study ahead of me.

Now that you professionals have painted real paintings how about showing us your ArtRage version?
    Ha. Very nice pear HS.

I look forward to your pear using the carter method. Btw I actually made myself a palette of colours using the closest thing to a color checker... I put the reference on a bottom layer, and tested colours made by eye on a top layer . No sampling was used just matching by eye. Once I had my palette I removed the reference from the bottom layer and put it in a reference in the corner... put by pallettebin a second reference in another corner.

Can't wait to see your painterly product! Nice discussion too... more on that later.. I too have chores!

Great oil...!!!
    Congratulations...
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Dark Ownt Very good work
    Visit my website here

Here is my submission. I put my signature on a separate since it's a digital file. But I think that would probably fall within the guidelines. Thanks for looking

David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pear.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	93775

Hello BrushcraftOnFire:

I like the bold impasto and smooth coloration is calming.

I see some "contradictions" between the color and texture of strokes... Did you achieve that with insta-dry, multiple layers, or a paint-stroke-textured paper?

Nice Pear!

Cheers!
    DO

I'm not sure where you are referring to Dark. I did what the challenge said... Left insta-dry totally off.. used one layer (I did use a separate layer for the signature) etc.

One thing I DID do was use the color picker often to slightly vary color... and vary the Pressure, Loading, and Thinners while I was painting. I also used the knife once or twice on flat mode just to spread color (IE: The lighting effect on the book). Texture in the piece was from varying brushstroke pressure

Thank you for your kind words...
    David

Quote Originally Posted by BushcraftOnFire View Post
    I'm not sure where you are referring to Dark. I did what the challenge said... Left insta-dry totally off.. used one layer (I did use a separate layer for the signature) etc.

One thing I DID do was use the color picker often to slightly vary color... and vary the Pressure, Loading, and Thinners while I was painting. I also used the knife once or twice on flat mode just to spread color (IE: The lighting effect on the book). Texture in the piece was from varying brushstroke pressure

Thank you for your kind words...
    David
    Awesome.. A chance to learn a new trick!

I have indicated the brush stroke texture I am referring to in red outlines. Clearly there are bold impasto strokes (which I like) which are essentially perpendicular to the edge of the pear (indicated with the blue lines).

Name:	PearStrokes.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	93792

I have tried to replicate the bold impasto at ninety degrees to a color boundary using oil brushes, but I fail every time, either the straight edge of color is broken, or the impasto stroke is flattened/wiped away by my colored brush stroke. I cannot even achieve the additive cross-hatch weave impasto look (on the pear near the blue edge on the right) using a stiff brush without wiping away bits, making mine look more like a set of square bumps rather than a weave you have achieved. I have to resort to multiple layers or insta-dry

I'm very intrigued, how did you do it?

OK Bro... Now I see what you are asking... I think

All that I did was use the oil brush there.. IIRC I used it at a relatively small size With light pressure. I then took the knife and ran along the edge to got a smoother line I believe. I am not a traditional oil painter .. so I don't know HOW I achieved the results really.. LOL! I definitely overworked the painting (As a traditional watercolorist I can say that. I just continued to work and rework each section until I got what I was looking for.) I can say that just touching the canvas will put a good amount of paint on it.. Like dabbing? Then that paint can be worked in.

Cool effect!

Ooopsy

SO I spent an hour trying to replicate it.. and I couldn't either. Finally, I dug up my PTG file to check my settings. Because it was on a single layer I didn't have my layers view open.. only my settings and color picker view.

Having said that.. I did a boo boo! And I totally apologize since I didn't even realize it.. but I still did not "Truly" go by the rules. I like painting on a colored canvas.. but I don't necessarily like to use the fill tool of background color. So I made a background layer of a very dark Brown, Maroon, and Gold (Kinda across the color wheel from the final colors in the painting) with the oil brush at a 500 scale (I believe). I didn't think about it since I did the entire "painting" on a single layer.. but that BG layer must have had the texture picked up in the Paint layer (does that make sense?) I uploaded the background only here.. hopefully it will explain what I mean.

I thoroughly apologize for the "misleading" texture. So I think that explains what you were asking. I surely didn't mean to misrepresent anything.. And I learned something.. I now understand what Bump Blend Modes are

David

Name:	Background.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	93803
    Last edited by BushcraftOnFire; 09-12-2017 at 10:07 AM.