Thread: Airbrush causing consistent crash

Airbrush causing consistent crash

Hi,

At least it's consistent. I just tried to paint with the airbrush tool (several different presets) and managed to crash Artrage immediately each time. I can't say if this is a new thing with the latest update as I haven't used airbrush tool in a while.

MacOS Sierra
    Version 10.12.6
    Artrage 5.0.5 64bit

If it's any help, the layer I'm trying to airbrush has its transparency locked.

SEPARATE ISSUE REFERENCE PHOTO GHOSTS

I'm also having minor trouble with reference photos. If I start a new painting without shutting the entire application first, the reference images from the previous painting don't disappear. They're not really 'there' -- I can't select colour from them, change the size of them, hide or delete them -- they are simply there in spirit. The solution is to shut Artrage altogether and open work in progress a second time.

Not sure if it's relevant, but I think I probably dragged the reference images onto the painting from desktop as 'Import as reference', because that's what I normally do.

Cheers

Do you get the crashes on a non-locked layer? (e.g., start a fresh canvas and see if there are any problems?). Can you give us a preset that it is crashing with so we know we are using the same settings to test? Also, what are you using to draw with? (Wacom tablet?)

References: If you start a second painting and switch between the two via the multiple documents options do the references persist in haunting you? Or do they only show up if you start one new painting and close the previous? Does closing the first painting make any difference?

Whaddaya know, now I've finished the painting I cannot reproduce the crash, neither in that document nor in a new one, whether I lock the transparency or not.

I'm using an Intuos 5 touch.

As for the reference issue, I can't reproduce that this morning either, but I'm about 90 per cent sure I had several documents open at the same time, as that is my MO.

ERASE ISSUE

While I'm talking unhelpfully about possible bugs, there is another one which is more persistent -- so persistent I've basically got used to it. I've set my bottom Wacom pen button to erase (because turning it upside down is a pain). This makes it easy to switch between drawing and erasing. And most of the time this works just fine. But the pen often gets stuck on erase tool. After I take my finger off the button, it's still erasing when it should be drawing.

I thought it might be a Wacom issue because I also have Wacom pen erasing issues in another piece of software (Affinity Designer, in which it plain old doesn't work). I've updated the Wacom driver and can't work out what else might be going on. It hasn't always been this way with Artrage -- just after one of the software updates I think.

I can switch back to eraser most of the time by saving the project. (This helpfully gets me doing regular saves...) But sometimes even this doesn't work to switch back to the painting tool, and I need to shut the application and open file again. This is more of an interruption to workflow.

Do you think this would be a problem with my computer/Wacom or Artrage/all three?

I'm glad to hear the bugs have mysteriously vanished for now! At least we know to keep an eye out for them.

The stylus eraser thing will mostly be a drivers issue - the tablet isn't recognising that the stylus has flipped over again. This might be a driver bug in that version, or it might be a 'talking to ArtRage' problem, but there are definitely some weird Wacom issues in Sierra.

Try checking these things:

1. Does flipping back to the eraser and back again force it to update? How about minimising the window and reopening?

2. Do you have any custom stylus profiles set up? (Tool settings > menu in top right > stylus control center). The driver might be assigning a 'this is the eraser use eraser settings' profile in error. If you have any profiles, try turning 'track styluses' off or disable them individually.

3. Delete the ArtRage preferences (probably not this, but just in case). Edit > ArtRage Preferences > menu button > Reset to default

4. Check the Wacom Tablet Properties to see if there are any odd settings for the eraser. Try deleting your profile and see if that fixes it.

You may need to roll back to an older driver to see if that fixes it, or try a complete uninstall and reinstall (rebooting in between uninstalling and reinstalling to clear out lingering files), but if you have seen this behaviour across multiple versions that may not help.

Thank you for your reply -- I will try those things when I'm in a methodical mood.