Thread: Query regarding AR5 memory usage (Mac)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Query regarding AR5 memory usage (Mac)

Hi,

I'm experiencing some issues with ArtRage 5 gobbling up memory and was hoping you might be able to help.

I've only been using it for a few days now having upgraded from AR4 but have noticied a couple of times where it's accessing the hard drive frequently, I assume to create virtual memory.

For instance I'll be working on a painting and over the day as I continue to work on it, AR5 will continue to use more and more RAM until I notice it repeatedly accessing the hard drive. I can free up the RAM by saving the file, quitting AR5 then opening it up again but it's not an ideal solution. I don't recall having such an issue with AR4.

I've attached a couple of screen shots from my activity monitor showing the ArtRage memory usage. The first is having worked for several hours on a file and AR5 is using over 10GB. I did open another smaller file during this time, but closed it after a bit of playing around. The second screen grab is after saving, quitting and re-opening the same file, with much less RAM use at this point. I was wondering if there's anything I can do about this? Perhaps a way to limit the amount of undos ArtRage stores like in Photoshop etc?

My thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm using a 27" iMac (2011), 3.4Ghz i7 with 16GB RAM and Snow Leapard (10.6.8).

Name:  AR5-RAM-Usage-01.png
Views: 243
Size:  99.1 KBName:  AR5-RAM-Usage-02.png
Views: 324
Size:  100.9 KB
    Last edited by Bertrude; 08-18-2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Adding a bit more info