Thread: Query regarding AR5 memory usage (Mac)

Query regarding AR5 memory usage (Mac)

Hi,

I'm experiencing some issues with ArtRage 5 gobbling up memory and was hoping you might be able to help.

I've only been using it for a few days now having upgraded from AR4 but have noticied a couple of times where it's accessing the hard drive frequently, I assume to create virtual memory.

For instance I'll be working on a painting and over the day as I continue to work on it, AR5 will continue to use more and more RAM until I notice it repeatedly accessing the hard drive. I can free up the RAM by saving the file, quitting AR5 then opening it up again but it's not an ideal solution. I don't recall having such an issue with AR4.

I've attached a couple of screen shots from my activity monitor showing the ArtRage memory usage. The first is having worked for several hours on a file and AR5 is using over 10GB. I did open another smaller file during this time, but closed it after a bit of playing around. The second screen grab is after saving, quitting and re-opening the same file, with much less RAM use at this point. I was wondering if there's anything I can do about this? Perhaps a way to limit the amount of undos ArtRage stores like in Photoshop etc?

My thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm using a 27" iMac (2011), 3.4Ghz i7 with 16GB RAM and Snow Leapard (10.6.8).

Name:  AR5-RAM-Usage-01.png
Views: 237
Size:  99.1 KBName:  AR5-RAM-Usage-02.png
Views: 316
Size:  100.9 KB
    Last edited by Bertrude; 08-18-2017 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Adding a bit more info

I am using the free app called "Memory Clean" (in the app store) that frees up memory. It works great! You should still see no difference with 8.86Gb available but I hear ya!
    Robert Hopkins

Thanks for the tip Robert. I couldn't find anything that worked in Snow Leopard (unfortunately a side effect of sticking with an OS dinosaur) but I appreciate the recommendation - I'll do some looking around.

Sorry, I didn't see the "Leopard" portion of your post. I have zero issues with the latest and current version of OS X. But everyone's computer is different including the installed software that may not like an upgrade. You should be fine with 8Gb remaining. The ArtRage team can confirm that better than I can. ArtRage does love memory. But, even really large canvases don't seem to eat up really anymore memory. I tried it when I upgraded my iMac to a current 2017 5K version. I ordered it with the default 8Gb and installed Amazon memory after the fact (24Gb now). Purr's like a kitten. It runs my Wacom monitor that I paint on too. It's a nice setup.
    Robert Hopkins

Okay, this shouldn't be happening to this degree, but also 10.6.8 isn't officially supported (we can't test on it or create fixes for it), so this might just be an unfortunate compatibility quirk.

ArtRage will slowly use up data as the undo history gets larger and larger over time - if you are working on a single painting all day, this might be the issue. Closing and reopening that painting should clear things out. Can you try leaving ArtRage 5 open without making any changes, then compare the memory usage after it has been left open with nothing happening? That will tell us if you're just building up a large undo history or if there is some kind of memory issue going on.

ArtRage 5 should generally be better memory-wise than ArtRage 4, but if you are using multiple documents or very large custom brushes, or much larger canvas sizes, you might be pushing the limits. Are you doing anything different to ArtRage 4?

I'm not really doing anything different to what I've done in ArtRage 4. The document is 510mm x 260mm @ 300dpi and I only really use the default brushes along with some sticker sprays from AR4, nothing too big to the best of my knowledge. I do tend to faff and rework things though so there could be a lot of undos building up, I just wouldn't expect the RAM usage to be that high.

I'll do as suggested and open the file and leave it in AR5 for a couple of hours and see if any memory increases occur with it untouched. I'll post back my findings.

If it is a compatibility quirk then that's OK - I took a chance on AR5 knowing that there could be issues with Snow Leopard. After all, it's my choice to stick with 10.6.8 for now (I still need access to Freehand for some old files). I can always quit it every few hours or just go back to ArtRage 4. I'll also try and spend a similar time in AR4 doing the same things to compare memory usage in it.

Thanks for the help thus far.

EDIT:

I've left the file open in ArtRage 5 for over 3 hours now and the memory use has not increased. But...

When I opened it the memory use was 1.66GB, it went up to 1.67GB after opening the 'resize painting' dialogue to see what the canvas size was. Interestingly, I've just opened the 'resize painting' dialogue again and it's gone up to 1.68GB immediately after. Going to 'Crop/Expand Canvas' has also resulted in it rising to 1.69GB use. I haven't done any cropping or resizing, just accessed them via the menu then closed the dialogue box. Going to 'view > colour samples' twice in a row has resulted in the memory going up a further 0.01GB each time which is curious.

Opening the sticker sheets palette repeatedly seems to cause the RAM usage to increase everytime. It doesn't get freed when the palette closes but opening it again continually causes more RAM usage.

It seems that opening certain menu items (even if they've been opened before) increases the RAM usage every time which might explain how it's slowly gobbling it up in my case. I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Bertrude; 08-19-2017 at 12:13 AM. Reason: More exciting findings!

That's definitely helpful! At least we know where it is coming from now, so there may be a chance of fixing it.