ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Colours/Colourpicker

Gallery
    View images

Colours/Colourpicker

Hi ArtRage team

I’ve been using AR for a while now, (and oh, I’m addicted) so I have a few comments/suggestions.
    I really like the overall layout, that makes the workflow in AR a best in class among graphic softwares I’ve used (considering photoshop, painter etc.) I really love it for that, apart of course for its wonderful oil painting ability.
    Sure I would like to see some new tools (watercolours, improved chalks etc.) and I’m sure we’ll see impressive ones in the coming releases.

But for now, my biggest concern is colour.

First, colour synthesis. I know this has already been discussed, but this additive/substractive colour thing is definitely an issue. Mixing colours just like in the “real world” (mixing primary colours gives you secondary ones) would just be something fantastic.

Second, I feel really not satisfied with the current colour picker. Why this quarter circle to define colours?? I understand it fits well on the corner of the window, but God, there is no colour logic there! A real colour wheel is the only way to go: you can clearly and intelligently choose the colours you want, you can decide for the right harmony (think of complementary colours which are directly opposite on the wheel, think of colour schemes and the whole colour theory which is all based on the colour wheel). The colour wheel is a (fundamental) visual habit for any artist/designer.

Third, some of the Artragers in the forum have already talked about floating colour mixing palettes. That would perhaps be a nice idea, especially if the possibility to store them was offered. And then to call those back on the screen as needed. Let’say you could store and call your favourite colour schemes, just like real painter palettes.
    And, why not, Artrage could provide some colour schemes help tool (thinking of the amazing Adobe Kuler tool).

Painting is all about colours (sketching is another story, right?). I would love to see ArtRage pushing very hard in that direction…

These were just a few ideas… hope it is of any interest.

_Sar.
    de l'art ou du cochon

Mac OS X 10.6.1-iMac Core2 Duo 4Go-Wacom intuos2 612-2

Gallery
    View images
    I wish I had a reply... has somebody in the ArtRage team a comment about this colour topic?

I feel soooo lonely with my post. Has any artist not got the same feeling with the coulour picker than I?
    :?:
    de l'art ou du cochon

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Sar - we read every suggestion and discuss them in the office here.
    A floating colour-picker is definitely something we've talked about.
    We've also talked about changing the colour-blending model to be more closely aligned to real-world colour mixing.

Note that you can already save sections of your canvas to custom colour-pickers if you want to blend some tones and save them for later.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanx Andy.
    I must be one of my kind since nobody else so far seemed to be concerned with this topic.... :roll:
    de l'art ou du cochon