ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally had it...

Finally had it...

..with Corel Painter. I'll never use it again. I'm switching to ArtRage. I hate to appear negative, but I am probably out 150 bucks for Painter 2018 that won't even load and I am pissed. Sorry...my future posts will be positive, I promise.

It's not you Rod. Sorry Man. IMHO Painter is bloatware that can't figure out what it is.

if you paid with visa/mastercard, you might try asking your bank for a refund on p*inter 2018 purchase, citing inability to launch your software and lack of assistance on developers side.

you might want to leave c*rel a farewell message if you use facebook;
    there's no guarantee that it will change anything in their development process, but at least their social media intern probably will log it somewhere.

they might even start a "pissed off former regular customers" table to keep sales people/marketing motivated.

Just a month ago I had a problem with Corel Paint Shop Pro 9... it wouldn't open.
    I tried working with Corel to fix the problem... after some time they just gave up and suggested reinstalling windows. I was furious.

Soon after I discovered none of my corel software would work, Painter 2017 wouldn't load, and the strange thing was neither would Painter X3, 12 or 11.

I decided to bide my time. After a few months from when the trouble started, Microsoft put out an update, some sort of rollup .NET thingy... and voila! Everything works now.

Moral of the Story: As much as you might hate Corel... sometimes you have to hate Microsoft. They broke my software... with some update... and happened to fix it in another update a few months later.

no, I really prefer to hate corel.

first of all, I'm on mac - where this company graced us with a five (yes) year delay before rolling out a 64 bit version,
    second, mac os comes as annual iterations, and corel completely drops support for former painter versions once a laggier, newer one is out there. this way, if I want to use painter 2015 from 2014 on a mac os build from 2015 (or newer), I have to deal with UI bugs that are fixed in the next painter releases (that offer close to zero value for me.)
    third, painter 2018 is a vapid piece of shit that I only managed to launch once on my machine - during second and third attempts, program splash screen didn't go away. that was a new low even for corel's dementive coding standards.

that comes on top of broken psd file support, infuriating one to two minute long start-up times, shit stability, lost/broken/missing brush engine features, consistent ignoring of customer feature requests, asinine musical brushes, et cetera, et cetera - let's just say I've been spending more time with painter 9 via a virtual machine than with every recent version; after upgrading my mac os, VM support got iffy, and I left.

Mac is getting ready to transition to OS 11--I just found out that if I want to do my taxes next year on my mac I will have to buy a new computer so Corel, for me left this MacShip a long time ago--and because computers aren't BIC lighters to just be tossed aside, I will probably switch over permanently to my ASUS which is why I am now looking at touch tables like Cintique or Huion.

But back to Painter, I thought I needed painter a while back but it seems to me that you only need what you need. Artrage does a powerful and satisfying job of what i need for traditional feeling work and keeps my wife, who is allergic to the entire world, alive and I have other free packages which can fill the rest of my needs.

I got hooked on Artrage when I saw a professional digital artist use it as part of a painting demo in one of those Digital Art Techniques books put out by 3d total (not Nick Harris) and after I saw the demo, well I was hooked.

upgrades can be frustrating and can be overkill. take your pick.

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking of buying ArtRage Pro and get on the learning curve for that. Corel probably has people gunning for it in the parking lot. On other forums I have likened Painter to the "Rain Man"...a guy with a 200 IQ that can't wipe his own behind. I wish Photoshop had as good natural media brushes.

Rod, photoshop will do everything that you want it to as long as you do what it wants you to do (bend the knee for the mother of dragons so to speak). And still we love the mother of dragons.....sigh....

Thank you all for the support!

I have the same problem with Corel's newer products. Without an internet connection to your graphic arts productivity computer you cannot use their newer products. I personally thought Painter was one of the best graphic arts programs, yet cannot use any of their newer versions, have older 9.5 and 8 on an older Windows XP computer over 12 years old. Still like using the old version spent many years working with that program. Again I like Corel Draw Graphics Suite and find their latest version is also unavailable to use on any computer older than the I series of Intel CPU's and also requires constant hook up to the internet. They used to have the option of internet or off-line, now they have put the restrictions on using a computer in an isolated situation of off line and that is the way you get more work done, without the distraction of internet web surfing and addictive habit that can eat up a lot of time, and also make you more vulnerable to malicious aggressive attacks.

I can only hope they change their ways in the future and bring back the freedom of using their software off-line without an internet connected, "Big Brother is Watching Every Move You Make" (Orwell's 1984).
    The very first digital art program that I worked with Art Rage 1

You may visit my personally designed website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.