Thread: Can't Save Canvas Preset

Can't Save Canvas Preset

Hi,

I have tried to save just a landscape and portrait canvas preset, however, whenever I saved, it has changed previous one. To be cleared, when I save a landscape size, it also changed my portrait presest to landscape size.

Did I miss some steps? I used the canvas setting panel to create a new group and then name the new preset.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canvas-preset.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	93489

Hi pai,
    I think the problem here is what AR thinks is a “canvas” and what we think is a “canvas”.
    Based on your screen shot it looks like you are changing the texture/grain & colour that AR uses to simulate the canvas surface. And it’s doing exactly what it should. Saving surface texture and colour for later use.

If you actually want to save as a “preset” what you have just set up, i.e. orientation, a specific canvas texture, size, etc… that you can just load in the future, you have two options;

1: Start by going to File > New Painting.
    In the setup window that opens, put in all the settings you want and then click the ‘Presets’ button. Do not click the Save button at the bottom of the window.
    From the 'Presets' menu choose ‘Add New Size Preset’. In the Save window that now opens you can give your preset a name and choose/make a folder for it to live in.
    Once all that’s done if you want to start using the new canvas right away now is the time to click the ‘Save’ button in the setup window.

2: As in your screenshot if you already have an empty canvas/painting you want to use in the future, just Save it “as is” like any other painting.
    In the future when you want that particular canvas setup, just open the file and start painting. However it is most important that when it comes to saving what you have been painting that you use ‘Save As…’ And not Save which would overwrite your starting canvas.
    One key advantage of these self made “preset” canvases is that when initially setting them up other “extras” can be pre loaded into them like specific Tool Boxes, Layers already with content etc… Whatever you want.
    I have many myself like this setup for Watercolours, Sketching, Oil painting etc… all with favourite tools and specific layer structures and canvas texture all ready to go.
    Last edited by markw; 08-05-2017 at 07:26 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks Rondo for the link. Not really what I am looking for and still very useful to know that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post

Hi Markw,

Please see my blue text. I hope it works that way to reply to you. Thanks for replying too.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hi pai,
    I think the problem here is what AR thinks is a “canvas” and what we think is a “canvas”.
    Based on your screen shot it looks like you are changing the texture/grain & colour that AR uses to simulate the canvas surface. And it’s doing exactly what it should. Saving surface texture and colour for later use.
    If you actually want to save as a “preset” what you have just set up, i.e. orientation, a specific canvas texture, size, etc… that you can just load in the future, you have two options;

Yes, I totally agreed after you explained. It is exactly how that "Add Canvas Preset" works, it just saved the texture and color not the size.

1: Start by going to File > New Painting.
    In the setup window that opens, put in all the settings you want and then click the ‘Presets’ button. Do not click the Save button at the bottom of the window.
    From the menu choose ‘Add New Size Preset’. In the Save window that now opens you can give your preset a name and choose/make a folder for it to live in.
    Once all that’s done if you want to start using the new canvas right away now is the time to click the ‘Save’ button in the setup window

2: As in your screenshot if you already have an empty canvas/painting you want to use in the future, just Save it “as is” like any other painting.
    In the future when you want that particular canvas setup, just open the file and start painting. However it is most important that when it comes to saving what you have been painting that you use ‘Save As…’ And not Save which would overwrite your starting canvas.

Thanks for showing that method. Yes, I knew this way to simply just save the desire size, color and texture...etc with blank canvas as a ptg file. I just thought within the app, those custom preset will record it and simply load it from there instead of open as a ptg file. Looks like there's no such function in any custom preset.

One key advantage of these self made “preset” canvases is that when initially setting them up other “extras” can be pre loaded into them like specific Tool Boxes, Layers already with content etc… Whatever you want.
    I have many myself like this setup for Watercolours, Sketching, Oil painting etc… all with favourite tools and specific layer structures and canvas texture all ready to go.

Not familiar how to use toolbox yet. Would love to see what you have if you can generously share in Art Supplies section? I can go from there to learn how to make use of toolbox.

Hi pai,
    Unfortunately Toolboxes in AR don’t actually contain anything to share!
    But below is a screenshot of one of mine for what it's worth.
    In reality they are a sort of “shopping list” to tell AR what assets, tools etc… to look for and load when you click on something in the Toolbox.
    One thing this means is that should you move, delete or rename an asset in AR that is listed in a Toolbox, when you try and select that asset's entry in the Toolbox, you will get an error message.
    The only way to fix this is to delete the faulty item from the Toolbox and then, if it had just been renamed or moved, find it again in AR and re-add it to the Toolbox and the re-save the Toolbox.

Most of my Toolboxes weren’t consciously made but rather the result of Saving the tools I had used during a painting at the end. So that should I want the same mix of tools in another painting later they can all be quickly loaded.
    As there’s no “preview” of what’s in a Toolbox before loading it I tend to name them after the painting they came from. That way I have a pretty good idea what’s in each.

The Link below will give you much more official info about Toolboxes. It’s from AR4.5 but they still work just the same in AR5: https://www.artrage.com/manuals/gett...and-workbench/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 00.53.34.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	93491
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Ok, will need to try out using toolbox to see how it relates to your explanation. You did still share this snapshot of yours though that I can get a feel how it works. Thanks Markw

Well, you can share a Toolbox file, but it's a list of shortcuts to other tools and resources, so you need to also have those installed