Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a Blast With the New Perspective Tool

Having a Blast With the New Perspective Tool

I love the perspective tool! Thanks Artrage! I do have a question. When I create a wall or a floor is it possible to duplicate or copy the wall or floor that I have already produced in order to save time instead of going through all of the steps to create a wall and floor all over again. I suspect it might be complicated but I thought I would put the question out there.

This tool is exactly what I have been looking for. Hope you do one in with multiple points besides the two as well or one that allow us to set up multiple points! Great Stuff!

No, this isn't currently possible. I've made a note for someone to look into it and see if it can be added at some point. Glad to hear that you're enjoying the perspective otherwise!

I did some comparisons to other programs such as sketchbook pro 7 which I use--i like the fact that they have 3 and 5 point perspective but honestly you have to jump through hoops to set up anything. I don't like the cursor based set up. Krita has the grids but you have to find them then play with them and pray you have the software set to actually save what you have done. Mischief--dead in the water--Medibang you can fake it but it's not efficient and photoshop--well let's not go there.

I would like to see the ruler added into the edit perspective mode to. I was building my home town for kicks and it would be nice to connect some lines "off perspective (sides of buildings and such) or just simple things. hope to see more demos too. Keep up the great work!--jay

ok I am going to note some interesting things here for anyone who finds this. I noticed on the video that they demoed troubles with picking the right line to snap to when the snap is turned on. The solution is simple: always start your line in the CENTER of your target line away from all corners and your will have no problems--just move your pen back and forth and your will have a squeaky clean line.

You can take the reference or the trace image and load them--then load your EDIT perspective---clear ALL perspectives so you can build based on the image--
    Next build your BLOCKS ONE layer at a time (one object per layer) then when that object is set in edit, hit the check button and make sure you have on the main canvas set VIEW Perspective and the edit has been set to snap-----now ink in your object.
    NEXT create a new layer and go back into edit perspective--set up the next object and do the same as the first--keep doing this until you achieve what you want.

Doing this will keep you from tangling yourself up in the grids and will allow you more flexibility in handling the Edit Perspective Panel. More as I tromp through this thing.--jay

OH--when working from a photograph--keep in mind that the lens will distort the image--you are not getting a true perspective so do NOT adjust to the photograph--TRUST Artrage and adjust the image and paint to the Artrage TRUE perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayd View Post
    ok I am going to note some interesting things here for anyone who finds this. I noticed on the video that they demoed troubles with picking the right line to snap to when the snap is turned on. The solution is simple: always start your line in the CENTER of your target line away from all corners and your will have no problems--just move your pen back and forth and your will have a squeaky clean line.
    Depending on which video, the 'snap to' option did actually change quite late in development because it was hard to use accurately. I need to make an updated tutorial at some point

As this thread is turning into a general discussion thread, I'll move it back to the technical section

Quote Originally Posted by Jayd View Post

I would like to see the ruler added into the edit perspective mode to. I was building my home town for kicks and it would be nice to connect some lines "off perspective (sides of buildings and such) or just simple things. hope to see more demos too. Keep up the great work!--jay
    So just be able to add extra random lines around the layout?

yes, it would be helpful. I used to do a lot of stagecraft work and perspective was a big deal in both the stagecraft and light plotting so being able to have some freedom to move about with that ruler would be really sweet. I love the ruler by the way. NEVER NEVER change that ruler.

Oh sorry to be adding so much but I am taking this new tool for a test drive and just throwing different things at it--trying to break it so to speak. The real seller for me here is that this thing is stupidly simple to use.

I noted someone asked about boxes in another thread. Honestly, I would like to see the following shapes in the perspective tool added so that they could be modularly placed--Sphere, cylinder, cube. These are basic shapes which allow one to create images--you really don't need more--there are but most stem from these three basic items.

The idea would be to be able to drop these down on to the perspective floor. The original tool still remains valuable because you need it for more intense work but for down and dirty quicky stuff--let's say drawing a car or if 3d modeling and designing a car---you would need to start with a perspective box and these kind of templates offer a real time saver.
    Last edited by Catmandolin; 07-26-2017 at 01:49 AM.

ok I do have a perspective tool question: currently I am in two point perspective and there are two points on the horizon line (duh)--I want to add a wall so I click toward the vertices that I want, let's say the one on the left, and it gives the corresponding wall. That is fine. Well, next up I need to have a wall coming from the other side (the right) for whatever reason--the left side who seems to be really jealous refuses to let me do that so I have to battle with it until it relinquishes control and lets me do my thing on the right. Conversely, same thing happens on the otherside.

Obviously, I am doing something wrong here. any advice?

You need to select the other vanishing point; click the move/arrow tool and click it to switch, and that point will become the active one.

(Also the feedback is useful, this is a brand new feature, so there are all kinds of things we haven't even thought about yet!).