Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canvas lighting question

I’ve just put up a very rough video showing the canvas lighting fall-off in AR here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-NC0zflqvg
    The canvas has one paint layer in 50% grey, that’s R128, G128, B128.
    First half of the video is with Canvas Lighting On the second half without it.
    Last edited by markw; 07-14-2017 at 05:02 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 6.1.1 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.14.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M

Wow. So subtle a change .. but it's there!

DarkOwnt - That's interesting to know. Thank you. I was playing around with AR5 before I bought Lite. Unfortunately my birthday money does not extend to purchasing the full version right at the moment

Hannah - Wow! Thank you very much for going right through the options for me like that Its a lot to take in - my head is fairly much exploding with all this information. I think I probably need to buy AR5, but that will have to wait for a few months yet

EDIT: Not familiar with this forum, I replied without realising there was already a second page, so...

Mark - thank you so much for taking the time to create that video

DarkOwnt - Maybe I noticed it more because I'm not as familiar with using the software as you are - ie, you are used to it and don't notice it as much
    Last edited by Apodemus; 07-16-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Haha, I realised afterwards that there were quite a lot of ArtRage 5 options in there - that edition added a lot of more advanced digital painter type stuff. For now, try just exporting 'finished' bits into a canvas with no lighting, and maybe experiment with the stencils as well (you can paint a texture then import the image as a new stencil).

The canvas lighting has been catching people out since ArtRage 2 (...including me >.> I didn't have the luxury of complaining directly to the developers back then, of course ) but only tends to really show up with graphic design-y stuff (e.g. what you are doing, or if you are trying to export something with a pure white background). I still forget to turn it off half the time when exporting design stuff ^_^ It's mostly unnoticeable or an enhancement for most natural media style work, which is why it's in there.

...all of which said, we'll be looking into it for future editions to see if improvements can be made. The lighting system is pretty fundamental to a lot of ArtRage's features, so it has been left untouched until now (and we can't promise it will change!) but there are definitely some tweaks that would be nice to have.

And, uh, make sure you have the latest version of Lite (5.0.4), as we actually added option to turn canvas lighting off in that update (earlier versions of Lite don't have that option, but it's a free update from the member area). It sounds like you got Lite recently, so you're probably fine

Thank you so much for all your kind help, Hannah

I have the latest version of the software, so yes - there is an off switch I will try working with stencils, and also experiment with using just the watercolour brush and no canvas or lighting to see if I can get the map looking the way I want it to look without it.

Hopefully in the future there might be an additional option for area lighting - a sort of lighting that will allow canvas and paint texture, but keep the same level of light right across the canvas - an 'area light' tick box perhaps, to switch between the existing spot light and an area light?

Thanks again

If you like the watercolours, try the Felt Pen as well - it's not dependent on lighting (totally flat) and mixes nicely when painting in solid areas of colour (as Colour Bleed isn't in Lite's watercolours, it can be a little harder to control the blending sometimes).

Ah-ha!

Thanks for the tip

I had been using the smear palette knife to mix things before, and I'm really not in control of it! LOL! :P

Ah yes, Lite does have rather fewer blending options Switch Art Pen on in settings for the Felt Pen as well, it's a totally different behaviour (with it off, white = translucent, so the blending can be unexpected).

This post might help too: https://ambient-design.tumblr.com/po...n-artrage-lite