Thread: wacom tablet usability issue - accidently rotating canvas.

wacom tablet usability issue - accidently rotating canvas.

I use a Wacom Intous drawing tablet and have set my controls so the bottoom 4 buttons are tools, i have zoom in and out set on the Function keys at the top.
    Since gesture doesn't really work well with ArtRage, i have set the circle button/wheel thingy to change brush size (but i have to select Brush size first)

Unfortunately it's very easy to press the circle button down, and then it changes to the next command which is Rotate canvas.

I change brush size a lot on the work i'm doing so i am regularly accidently changing the circle wheel to Rotate command in instead of Brush size.
    which results in my accidently rotating the canvas.
    Its frustrating.

Any recommended solutions?

Just holding shift down and dragging on the canvas lets you change tool size; is that one of your shortcut options?

Hell jman0war,
    I have the Touch Wheel of my Intuos only setup for Zoom & Rotate in ArtRage.
    For changing brush size as I work I have the forward button of the Pen setup as Shift. Hold this down and drag the Pen left or right on the tablet to change size.
    And the rearward Pen button setup as Right Click. Hovering the pen over the tablet, without actually touching it, and holding down this button allows me to drag the Canvas around as I work.
    Last edited by markw; 07-08-2017 at 07:42 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hell jman0war,
    I have the Touch Wheel of my Intuos only setup for Zoom & Rotate in ArtRage.
    For changing brush size as I work I have the forward button of the Pen setup as Shift. Hold this down and drag the Pen left or right on the tablet to change size.
    And the rearward Pen button setup as Right Click. Hovering the pen over the tablet, without actually touching it, and holding down this button allows me to drag the Canvas around as I work.
    That sounds like it might work - pen forward button set as Shift.

But it's not working.
    Firstly, in the button config, i choose "keystroke" then manually type {Shift}.
    This seems like it would work and it does somewhat, but it seems to also want to Hide the layer.
    And i think the program is getting mixed up as to what command it should register.

This is weird because "Show Layer" is set to H.

So something is not right but i don't see it.

Ok i cleared "H" for ShowLayer and now it's working.
    But is there anyway i can set it so that i can change the brush size without actually touching the tip to the surface?
    Just hoover over it?

Now when i open the painting i'm working on the pen button seems to be selecting other tools, like Ink Pen.
    It also shows a little "shift" text onscreen.

So i clear the key for InkPen and try it again and now the button selects the Fill.
    It's like it's just going for any Tool possible.
    Last edited by jman0war; 07-08-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Hi,
    Unfortunately at the moment my internet access/time is very limited. And when I can access the internet I invariably don’t have my tablet with me, like now!
    So, purely from memory, in the Wacom prefs, to assign Shift to the forward button you need to look for an entry to assign a ‘Modifier Key’. This may be outside of the ‘Keystroke…’ section or inside it
    Come Monday I should be able to post some screenshots of my setup or at least give a better explanation!
    As for changing brush size on the fly with my setup, AR is looking for; Held Left Click + Shift + Drag Left or Right. I’m not sure that can be mimicked without touching the tablet surface
    Enjoy the weekend and sorry I can’t be of more help right now
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

If the buttons you're pressing aren't actually doing what they're supposed to, then something may be messed up in the Wacom preferences.

Check the following things:

1. That the shortcut works as intended using a keyboard (if it doesn't, then it's nothing to do with your tablet)
    2. That the button is set to the correct key in the Wacom Properties panel.
    3. That there is no odd custom profile for ArtRage in the Wacom Properties that might be changing things

If you can't find an obvious issue, try:

1. Changing the shortcut to a different one to see if that works (maybe there's an issue with a very specific key)
    2. Deleting/clearing any custom Wacom preferences and starting fresh (often this can get corrupted)

And if you're still stuck, come back and let us know (here or via [email protected]) what your set up is currently using (shortcuts, OS, that sort of thing) and we'll keep troubleshooting. It might just be a wonky tablet driver issue.

Hello jman0war,
    As promised you can find screenshots of my settings in the Tip & Tricks area here: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...177#post518177

I realised over the weekend why you were getting odd tools activating.
    You said that for the pen button you had type Shift in the Keystroke entry field.
    So when you pressed the button later, what this will have done is to send 5 successive commands to AR, one for each letter. Any tool or feature in AR using those letters as shortcut keys will have been activated in turn!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello jman0war,
    As promised you can find screenshots of my settings in the Tip & Tricks area here: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...177#post518177

I realised over the weekend why you were getting odd tools activating.
    You said that for the pen button you had type Shift in the Keystroke entry field.
    So when you pressed the button later, what this will have done is to send 5 successive commands to AR, one for each letter. Any tool or feature in AR using those letters as shortcut keys will have been activated in turn!
    Modifier?
    Wow i would never have thought of it.

Thanks a million i think it's working now!

Ha, it's always something simple. Good catch, markw!