Thread: Color blend confusion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Color blend confusion

Hello. I am really enjoying ArtRage, but am very confused when it comes to color mixing within the program. After reading the manual, I understood that using "Real Color Blending" should produce realistic color mixing, as opposed to RGB mixing that's usually used in art programs. With many of the combinations I found this to be true (especially when mixing yellows and blues), but, when I mix white with certain colors to change their value, the resulting mix is completely wrong. For example, when mixing white with any type of blue, the result is green for some reason. What's even weirder is if I switch back to the default RGB setting, the mixture is exactly what it should be. I've found other examples of colors mixing incorrectly, but I can't recall what they were. What am I missing or not understanding? Or is real color blending simply inaccurate in certain instances?
    The reason this is a problem for me is that I use a popular technique called "gamut mapping" and having inaccurate color blending will completely throw this off and result in hues outside the chosen range, thus defeating it's effectiveness.
    I've attached an examples of artrage "real color blending" and actual oil paint blending to illustrate what I'm meaning.
    Thanks for your help!
    ,Jared
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	real oil.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	93201  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by matthewsjc1; 07-03-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: turned on notifications

Hello Jared,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Make sure that the loading preset of your blending tool (knife I assume) is set to 0 %.

Just a thought - are you using pure white 255,255,255- some of the whites are not true. There may be other reasons for your results.

Name:  colour mixing.jpg
Views: 6279
Size:  72.6 KB Name:  Colour mixing2.jpg
Views: 5391
Size:  92.3 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Hmmm... that is very interesting. I'm certain that load is set to 0%. As far as the color, I moved the color selection to the far corner of the blue color picker (same hue I was blending into). When I get back to my PC, I'll have to double check the actual color RGB to be certain. Thanks!

I figured the problem out - me 😂. I'm such a dork sometimes. I forgot that I had actually alt clicked the canvas to sample white, not realizing that it was ever so slightly off-white. Sometimes I amaze myself with the careless mistakes I make!
    Thanks for the input guys!
    ,Jared