ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Lambda Prints on Fuji Crystal DP II

Lambda Prints on Fuji Crystal DP II

I wanted to share a recent ( to me ) discovery for printing your work. I just got one of my works ( City Whispers ) printed using Lambda Printing on Fuji Crystal DP II paper and
    I was astonished at the brilliant clariity and luminous color of the print!.. Lambda printing used lasers to generate and expose the Fuji paper which is then developed like old style
    photographic prints and the washed in a stop bath. The work I had printed was spot on with colors and even the very finest details and brush marks registered perfectly with no
    pixilation evident. The file I got printed I upsized to 600dpi which also helped a lot ( used Photoshop for that activity ) The look was better than any inkjet work I have done
    up to this point ( although they were excellent ). This paper and printing method is very very lightfast and durable and gallery worthy.

Sounds groovy. How well does this last before fading if ever?

My mom, when she was into travel and photography back in the 70s or 80s got photographic prints made -- the real deal, no DTP available yet. So these were done at a proper photo lab (the details of which I couldn't say). But the prints really faded having been exposed for years to fairly bright indirect sunlight. Lost contrast and saturation. But so has her vision. So she was incensed when I pointed out that they faded. Was like I told her she had done a bad job with her makeup. Didn't fly so well. But I was right. I remember then and now.

Your report might be something I might be interested in soon enough if I knew it would last -- in my case for art done on the computer like you have printed. Having everything on the computer loses the impact. I actually got 2 different birthday caricature images run at Costco at small poster size, one mounted the other unmounted -- and it wasn't bad printing. The backing was super cheezy though, but fine for an oversized birthday card that people could sign as a keepsake. Were I being finicky the colors and values sharpened up a wee bit. But since it was so cheap and I wasn't selling it, I was fine with it. The birthday folk were sort of blown away. When I was in business though I probably would have been moderately upset because I was such a perfectionist and colorist. But now, I was pretty chuffed. Been a long time since I did anything like it. So that in itself was pretty nice. But I would use Costco again for that kind of thing. But if your printing idea is reasonably priced it might get me back into doing art again.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Sorry to have taken so long!

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Sounds groovy. How well does this last before fading if ever?

My mom, when she was into travel and photography back in the 70s or 80s got photographic prints made -- the real deal, no DTP available yet. So these were done at a proper photo lab (the details of which I couldn't say). But the prints really faded having been exposed for years to fairly bright indirect sunlight. Lost contrast and saturation. But so has her vision. So she was incensed when I pointed out that they faded. Was like I told her she had done a bad job with her makeup. Didn't fly so well. But I was right. I remember then and now.

Your report might be something I might be interested in soon enough if I knew it would last -- in my case for art done on the computer like you have printed. Having everything on the computer loses the impact. I actually got 2 different birthday caricature images run at Costco at small poster size, one mounted the other unmounted -- and it wasn't bad printing. The backing was super cheezy though, but fine for an oversized birthday card that people could sign as a keepsake. Were I being finicky the colors and values sharpened up a wee bit. But since it was so cheap and I wasn't selling it, I was fine with it. The birthday folk were sort of blown away. When I was in business though I probably would have been moderately upset because I was such a perfectionist and colorist. But now, I was pretty chuffed. Been a long time since I did anything like it. So that in itself was pretty nice. But I would use Costco again for that kind of thing. But if your printing idea is reasonably priced it might get me back into doing art again.
    Sorry to be so slow in answering this but been sorta busy in a good way... Most prints I get from Whitewall are guaranteed for 75 years at a minimum and much longer if you use archival papers and mount under UV protected glass. Pricing at Whitewall is the most reasonable for professional quality printing and they have a wide variety of printing substrates available. If you just get it printed on paper the cost is really good but if you go ahead and get it mounted, matted and framed the cost jumps but unless you have a framer handy that you like it is cheaper than Michaels or places like that. If you want more info just message me as I have printed on a variety of the Whitewall substrates and done just prints to canvas and printing on aluminum etc and can share what I learned about each of them.

BTW - I just found out I had two of my digital paintings selected for an international show curated by Gallery 25N out of New York City ( an online gallery ) that hosts regular showings of all types of work from artists from all over the world. The show my work was selected for had a theme of "Shades of Green " of the 20 artists selected they will produce an online video show with music, and Press releases, and an entenstive social media program to promote the artists selected. I was stunned and I am super psyched by it..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gallery 25N  Shades of Green2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	93143