Thread: Stiffness Strife

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stiffness Strife

Hello Team Artrage! I've tried searching for this issue without success, so forgive me if this has been brought up before.

The problem really revolves (I think) around the Stiffness settings of the oil brush. I quite like to effect a stippling technique, but I find that if Stiffness is set to anything other than 100%, the brush profile loses its definition and is laid down as a primitive shape without texture. It's quite a tricky issue to describe: the left hand column of stiffness_1_edit.jpg are a series of strokes (brush size at 50%) with a tiny bit of direction, so the stroke retains all its bristle information and starts correctly. To the left are simple dabs, and you'll see that this are crude and without texture or proper size dynamic. Stiffness here is at 78%.

stiffness_2_edit.jpg are the same stokes, but this time with Stiffness set to 100% - here you'll see both columns are rendering pretty much normally, with the left hand column 'dabs' being as small and textured as you'd expect.

It's strange behaviour, and screwing around with my Wacom settings doesn't seem to alter anything. Stiffness does seem to me to be the culprit, and has strange effects on brush behaviour on anything less than 100%.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stiffness_1_edit.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	93024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stiffness_2_edit.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	93025