Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum Makeover

One additional thing, regarding the lists of the posts on the right side of the page: If you keep it, since you're listing specific posts, you may want to have it work to when it's clicked it takes you to that posting.

On Eighty+'s thread if there's a new post, you can click a hyperlink to the User info of the one posting if you're logged in, or to a prompt to log in if you're not.

Or you can click another link to the first post in the thread (which in Eighty's extraordinary thread is thousands of pages away from the latest post in which case the user has to then click the last page number -- an additional step that assumes a familiarity with site navigation or navigation in general.)

Or you can go to the general category of Art Gallery (which sort of misses the point of having one particular post singled out.) The listing does serve that it shows things are happening in the forum, but it doesn't take us directly to the spot that caught our attention.

Anyway, it's just tossing it out there if that's anything you care to look at.
    Last edited by D Akey; 06-04-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    My 27 inch monitor (1920x1080) is not happy with the number of images you are displaying at the top. It is word-wrapping one image downwards. One less image in your image logic math? Zoom in Chrome is set to 100% so it is not related to zooming in the browser. My browser is maximized. You can see that by looking at the minimize/maximize button on the top right. It has two rectangles.
    It's a screensize thing; the image layouts was highly experimental, there's no preview function in the backend and it only accepts certain code (and looks very different on MY largescreen Chrome browser). It should look better now, and may change going forward again.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    A few suggestions for navigating the forum and leaving messages, now that I've gotten around in the new forums a wee bit more:

1) You added an extra step to navigating to the (what is now called) the Art Gallery. (see pics). To navigate back to the top of the tree, one has to scroll way to the top and jump over all those thumbnails. Were you to construct a vertical shortcut menu on the left or right in a vertical column to go anywhere it would simplify greatly navigation. If not, at least have one button handy to take the user to the forum homepage button so they could start climbing down the tree again. Right now it's a little indirect and not particularly intuitive if you don't know where a category is buried. New users might not want to bother.
    As mentioned above, top level thumbnails have been redesigned a bit, so they should be less of a hassle. I've also moved the main gallery up a section, so it's easier to reach: https://forums.artrage.com/forumdisp...10-Art-Gallery

And people can still find the less used more specific threads without them taking over the main page or getting too lost.

Better?

2) The written list of new posts to the right are good on one hand to see what else is in the forums. But it's a lot of writing to wade through. And that could perhaps be a better place to make a menu of categories. I wouldn't want to have my browsing limited to what you have listed over there. I prefer the way it was in which one could scroll through and the sorting was chronological if I wanted to revisit a thread for whatever reason.
    'The stuff on the right is autogenerated, so we're a bit limited in what we can do there, but we should be able to tweak it a bit. We could certainly add a category menu there, but that's what the main forum is supposed to be, so if it needs a second list of links, something's wrong with the forum, so best to fix that first

3) Attaching a file or multiples is way better. Well done on that. Plus multiples get sorted in the intended order. That's a very good improvement.

4) Ah. I see there's two ways to post, and the Quick and the Advanced, the Advanced goes to the old format. Interesting. The distinction wasn't immediately apparent what the two kinds of posting methods were. I can now see it, Smileys and all.
    Good, I'm glad you like those. I can enable the Advanced posting format for the Quick posting, if people prefer, I was just testing it in steps. Advanced also has a WYSIQYG option you can toggle on now (so you can type directly in rich text instead of code). Actually, I'll go enable that for quick posting right now.

Having said all that, I like the intention of what you're doing. You're thinking to make it easier. Hope that continues to evolve. I like the look with the thumbnails because it now feels more like painting/Art is what it's all about.
    Awesome, I'm glad to hear it! The backend of the forum is (to put it lightly) a nightmare, changing anything requires going through six menus with your eyes closed and answering a Sphinx's riddle, and I have to publish it to see what it actually looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    One additional thing, regarding the lists of the posts on the right side of the page: If you keep it, since you're listing specific posts, you may want to have it work to when it's clicked it takes you to that posting.
    Unfortunately, that's one of the things it just won't let me do, I agree it would have been a better option.

Thanks for updating the top of the web pages with less images. My iPad works better now too. I will report back if my 27" monitor is not happy. Thanks again!
    Robert Hopkins

Glad to hear it! I've also changed it so you see *either* the product link images logged out, or the featured artists when logged in, so there's never a giant stack of images up the top on any device.

The support, tutorials, and manuals image links are a nice touch. New or old users no longer need to dig around to find something. Excellent!
    Robert Hopkins

The main menu at the top of the forum now looks great! The smaller images to the right of the logo look perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. Nice work Hannah!
    Robert Hopkins

Glad to hear it! It probably will change again, and those links are also now down the side as adblocker actually blocks the ones in the header, but we're getting there

Yeah, the structure of the overall forum navigation is better with fewer thumbnails between the forum and the buttons. This way there's a direct visual to connect the two.

I like that when you click [Forums] you immediately see the main categories like Art Gallery and the others. It's smoother.

Also like the fact that you can start replying to a thread and you are able to either [Go Advanced] or remain in [Post Quick Reply] -- on the fly without having to retype anything. That's super cool.

** Additional note: I don't have a way to test something else without actually doing it, but in the previous version of the forums, when one would post something long that required some time to write, the connection to the forums would time out and one could lose the whole long post. I learned early on how to avoid that, but for those who might not know the trick to that, they may have stopped posting out of frustration. You might want to see if this new formatting allows for one to keep their posts alive. The solution may be to have the software note if the keyboard is clicking away or not so as to know if someone is still typing a reply or if they have in fact left the forum.

Anyway, very satisfying work, Hannah. Go go go!!!!!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

@ Hannah, just an FYI, writing a post times out really fast. If clicking on [Post Quick Reply] it gives and error message saying something like I don't have permission to perform that task or something. However, even though the post was completely written but floating in the buffer, if I clicked [Go Advanced] it took me to sign in again and I did not lose the post. I could complete it.

That's up to you if you think that works or not, but it did time out fairly quickly. It was not one of my massively lengthy posts.
    Again, it's just an FYI.

Have you got an idea of how long it takes you to write these posts? A minute, 20 minutes...? It might be something I can adjust, but I've never actually run into that problem myself