ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Non-paintable areas

Non-paintable areas

Can anybody tell me what is going on when I am painting and there are some areas that will not accept paint or any of the palette knives or even the eraser? It's like a ghost is living in those areas and has control of it. I can open a new layer on top and try to paint there and it still will accept paint. This can ruin a whole painting with spots that don't look like the rest of the painting! On the right tree, the area cannot be smudged or smeared.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You look like you're using the watercolour brush - did you ever make any strokes with 90-100% thinners? That would add a lot of water and may not have appeared to do anything, but the water is still on the page messing with later strokes.

That straight edged line down the bottom doesn't look right, though. If it's not a watercolours thing, email the file to support@artrage.com so we can take a look at your actual settings and painting.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

This one is all oil paint and I keep the loading turned up and the thinner turned down. I had more things I wanted to do with it but I am about to trash it because of the problem. Know how it feels to write on something that someone has already written on with a crayon? Can't do it and that's how this feels. If I trash it I might do it again find out at which point this starts happening. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by pslane View Post
    This one is all oil paint and I keep the loading turned up and the thinner turned down. I had more things I wanted to do with it but I am about to trash it because of the problem. Know how it feels to write on something that someone has already written on with a crayon? Can't do it and that's how this feels. If I trash it I might do it again find out at which point this starts happening. Thank you.
    Sometimes also paint becomes thin to the point color is on the canvas but the palette knife does little - there is no thick paint to push around any more.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Sometimes also paint becomes thin to the point color is on the canvas but the palette knife does little - there is no thick paint to push around any more.
    I know what you mean. Just like having to keep dipping your brush in for more paint. But this is different. There are spaces where my brush seems to be locked out completely. What gets me is that even though I open a new layer on top of all the rest, it still won't accept paint in those areas.

Can you send us the file? I don't know exactly what this is, so I need to actually look at the painting - if it's a bug, we really need to know!

Also what version of ArtRage is it?

edit: also, are there definitely no layers above that might have a little bit of mystery white paint on? (just toggle the visibility to be sure - actually, hold ALT and click on the eye symbol of the problem layer to hide/show all others instead).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Update: I shut down last night and opened the image again today and it seemed to be working better. It may have been that or I discovered that I may have painted something in the black border layer. I think it just needed to re-open. Now I have finished it. Not my best work but fun to do. I love to work with the tiny frost. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images