Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love painting impressionisticaly in Artrage

I love painting impressionisticaly in Artrage

Hi all,

I've been using Artrage for a couple of years now and really love it. I haven't posted on this forum before but thought I would throw up a post to see how it goes. I like talking about painting digitally and it seems that the traditional painters don't necessarily accept digital artists as "real artists" and the photoshop crowd tends to like the graphic arts or hyper realism stuff. Artrage seems to sit in the middle with it's traditional look tools.

Here is picture I painted recently. I used mostly a thinned and stiff oil brush but I like how the marker tool blends too and used that for the details on the cowboy. I also used the new Artrage 5 brush to get some of the textures in the distant brush. I'm slowly starting to understand what can be done with those.

I really like to paint impressionisticaly (probably not a word) and have been trying all sorts of brush settings to get just the look I'm after. I haven't achieved it yet but I'll keep trying.

The look I'm most after is something like the plein-air painter Mike Hernandez or squatchgouache on instagram. He paints with gouache and it seems that it is a look that would translate well to printed images as gouache doesn't have the "bumpiness" of oils so it doesn't matter if isn't "bumpy" when printed.

If any of you know of some brushes that would achieve Mike's affect let me know :)

Brent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cowboy Jhet.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	337.5 KB 
ID:	92756  

love this please post more

Hi Brent,

I love this painting it looks like the area I live in ( Central Oregon ). It looks like your are getting the most from the new stuff in AR5, I would also offer that in the sticker sprays
    there are some great art brushes also. I have found what you say is so true, when talking with traditional media artists when I say I work digitally their eyes glaze over and the conversation stops. But sometimes like just recently I had a comment from a painter in Los Angles who saw one of my abstract paintings and messaged me about how I did it and was suprised that it was digital and although he knew and used photoshop to some degree he had not heard of ArtRage so when I said that I used them both in my workflow he was going to check AR out... and that really made my day to know that someone actually listened long enough to get an idea of what is possible.. I love gouache paintings as well and will check out that artist. I know you can get a similar look in AR by using Gel Medium for the paper ( no texture ) and turn off global lighting so all the color is flat then you can paint away like gouache and add a little bit of canvas texture if you want at the layer level later on in the detail work...

Hi Brent,

I like your painting a lot, good composition and perspective. The best thing about ArtRage is that you can use any and all tools in a painting, if you so wish.

Good luck with your future work.

Best wishes,
    Tony

Very nice. I had to give up my dream to become a cowboy when I became a vegetarian. . . Blazing Saddles notwithstanding.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Ghxpainter,

Thanks for the thoughtful response and tips. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by gel paper but I will dig around more to see if I can see it. I've since tried a few more things with the new custom brushes and see some promise in a stiff brush head I made (lines with gaps) and a watercolor texture. I haven't produced any new compositions yet but just playing with possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by herewasthere View Post
    Ghxpainter,

Thanks for the thoughtful response and tips. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by gel paper but I will dig around more to see if I can see it. I've since tried a few more things with the new custom brushes and see some promise in a stiff brush head I made (lines with gaps) and a watercolor texture. I haven't produced any new compositions yet but just playing with possibilities.
    That was a typo on my part it is actually called CEL and in the special section when picking the canvas or paper for the painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony867 View Post
    Hi Brent,

I like your painting a lot, good composition and perspective. The best thing about ArtRage is that you can use any and all tools in a painting, if you so wish.

Good luck with your future work.

Best wishes,
    Tony
    Tony,

Thank you for the kind comments. I remember viewing your tutorial on the skull watercolor. Great tips!

Brent

Very nice... Did you ever find a gouache brush or method for ArtRage?

GREAT!!!! Congratulations!
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Love your style, a pleasure to view