Thread: I love painting impressionisticaly in Artrage

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I love painting impressionisticaly in Artrage

Hi all,

I've been using Artrage for a couple of years now and really love it. I haven't posted on this forum before but thought I would throw up a post to see how it goes. I like talking about painting digitally and it seems that the traditional painters don't necessarily accept digital artists as "real artists" and the photoshop crowd tends to like the graphic arts or hyper realism stuff. Artrage seems to sit in the middle with it's traditional look tools.

Here is picture I painted recently. I used mostly a thinned and stiff oil brush but I like how the marker tool blends too and used that for the details on the cowboy. I also used the new Artrage 5 brush to get some of the textures in the distant brush. I'm slowly starting to understand what can be done with those.

I really like to paint impressionisticaly (probably not a word) and have been trying all sorts of brush settings to get just the look I'm after. I haven't achieved it yet but I'll keep trying.

The look I'm most after is something like the plein-air painter Mike Hernandez or squatchgouache on instagram. He paints with gouache and it seems that it is a look that would translate well to printed images as gouache doesn't have the "bumpiness" of oils so it doesn't matter if isn't "bumpy" when printed.

If any of you know of some brushes that would achieve Mike's affect let me know :)

Brent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cowboy Jhet.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	337.5 KB 
ID:	92756