Thread: Still Yearning for Palm Rejection...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Still Yearning for Palm Rejection...

Hello, I was interested in upgrading to AR 5, but when I downloaded the demo, I discovered there is still no palm rejection on windows. I'm on a Lenovo Miix 510 with Windows 10. The pen is made by Lenovo (Active Pen), but uses Wacom technology, and draws directly on the screen, similar to the Surface books. After doing some research, I am hopeful that there still might be a way to get this to work? Different drivers maybe, or any other ideas out there to enable palm rejection on a Windows 10 machine? I guess I got spoiled with it on my Android, and can't understand why this is not possible for Windows?

I look forward to any suggestions anyone might have....

I'm afraid it's not currently possible in ArtRage on Windows. You can turn touch off completely (Edit > ArtRage Preferences > Multitouch), if you prefer.

The reason it isn't currently possible boils down to 'there are lots of different driver standards and Windows drivers/hardware don't really offer proper multitouch support yet'. Android does - the driver tells the software which touches are pen and which are finger and which are gestures (basically), so it's very easy for apps to support any combination of stylus, palm rejection and complete touch rejection. Both our Android and iPad apps support it, so ArtRage is quite capable, it's simple a hardware/drivers issue.

Right now there is no way for us to implement palm rejection that would:

a) allow us to continue supporting mouse users,
    b) be reliable and bug free (the current options would cause a lot of other issues if we used them).

Other apps have either accepted one of those trade offs or implemented some weird workaround that won't work for ArtRage (or are created by secret geniuses). I don't think there are many of them at all, though other than Photoshop (which is massive and out of everyone's league!).

If a future driver/OS update from Windows comes out that works and can be added into ArtRage without causing any other problems, we'll definitely be looking into integrating it.

Post Thanks

Thank you for your reply....at least I know not to go crazy trying to find a way! I am hopeful this feature will one day be a reality!

TBH I find it a little hard to believe at this point when most programs I have tried, Sketchable, Clip Studio Paint, Sketchbook for instance all allow turning off drawing with finger touch and using only pen input while still supporting multi-touch gestures and drawing with a mouse. At least on Windows 10 all these programs allow just that. They all have a toggle of some sort to turn off finger painting which IMO, is an incredibly small price to pay. And they still support mouse drawing while finger drawing is off. I don't know what sort of voodoo they are doing or if Artrage has some crazy legacy code issues but they all seem to do it fine without major bugs or anything.

Anicola, as you are on Windows 10 you can at least turn off touch while using the pen and so long as your pen is hovering(the cursor is visible) touching is disabled. This is done in pen settings in settings(OS settings, not Art Rage) and while I will occasionally get a line from my palm on first contact if it detects my palm before the pen hovers. That said it's much better than it was before that feature was available but I'd still prefer finger drawing disabled in general as option to even prevent that.

Quote Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
    Sketchable, Clip Studio Paint, Sketchbook
    Just a note on this: Clip Studio Paint is the only comparable program here, the other two are mobile Windows apps, not full desktop software (the difference is pretty moot at the user end since Windows 10 came out, but the backend is extremely different).

The equivalent would be ArtRage Touch - a significantly more limited program than the full desktop version, now discontinued because we couldn't support it properly in Win10 (and people can just use the full versions anyway).

I know this is a little bit of necro'ing on this thread, but this topic very well may be the deal breaker for me. I bought the android version and love it, but replaced the tablet with a new surface pro. I'm a beginner and don't need a lot of fancy tools. What matters to me at this point is how well the basic functions of the app work, and this is looking like a pretty glaring flaw. I'm still evaluating apps, and if it weren't for this issue, it'd otherwise be a no brainer.