ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Size of painting

Size of painting

Hello,
    I've been using ArtRage for quite a while and painted a few things but I've never been sure what size to make my paintings. Mostly I end up taking it to another program to re-size it when I'm done.
    I am starting a new painting that I'd like to be 11 X 14 inches, landscape, with a resolution of 300. How many pixels do I use? Also, is 300 a good res to use or should I go higher?
    Don't know why but these things have always been confusing to me.
    I'd appreciate any help you can give me about this.

Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

[QUOTE=pslane;516649]
    I am starting a new painting that I'd like to be 11 X 14 inches, landscape, with a resolution of 300. How many pixels do I use? [QUOTE]

See screenshots below - when opening a new painting you can type the size by inches or pixels into the relevant boxes and you will see Screen size (pixels) or Print size (inches). I use 300ppi for printing and 72ppi for posting on the web.

Name:  screen1.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  25.0 KBName:  screen2.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  28.8 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thank you for your replies. There is a lot to read but I need it. That is actually the pixel size I thought it should be, but it seems so BIG! It will be the first time I actually got this right. Mostly it's been hit and miss with my sizes. Off to paint!

For reference, your computer monitor is probably at least 1280 or 1900 pixels across. That's a good reality check, actually; look at your monitor resolution and match it for your *starting* size, then go larger.

Setting your canvas to 'window size' will show you the exact real life size if you print it out at 72 DPI (the lowest quality you should go for printing, basically). 72 DPI is 3 times more 'dilute' than 216 DPI (which is a nice midrange sort of DPI), so you'd want to go three times as big for a print out the size of your monitor. Then adjust for aspect ratio

... I've been explaining it the hard way all these years. From now on, I'm just telling people to look at their monitor resolution and then double/triple/quadruple it as needed.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!