Thread: Paint Symmetry...

Paint Symmetry...

Two things about paint symmetry I'd like to see and one bug?
    1 - allow odd numbers of segments without leaving one blank (this happens even with rotational)
    2 - allow more than 12 segments, especially for mirrored symmetry

Also sometimes when I do something using paint symmetry it doesn't appear the same in all segments - like I went to erase a part I didn't like, but it was still there in one segment...
    (I use 4.5 but if these things happen I'll likely upgrade... if not I don't really have a reason to because I mostly use ArtRage with paint symmetry)

You shouldn't be seeing any blank segments. Is this something you can reliably get to show up? If so, send us an example/steps for replicating it and we'll investigate (it acts normally here).

Missing paint/lines may be a bug, or may be a sign you're pushing the memory somehow; again, not something I'm seeing here, but if you can provide examples or steps for getting the same result, we can look into it.

More than 12 segments might be a future wishlist thing, it depends on memory and some behind the scenes stuff.

If you want to check how it works in AR5 (there were no specific changes, but there were lots of 'general' performance improvements that might affect what you're seeing), then download the demo and see if you can break it www.artrage.com/demos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 9.07.17 PM.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	93012

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 9.11.26 PM.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	93013

The first image is from 5, where it still does the thing where it leaves a segment out of smoothing or erasing or drawing or whatever, second is where an odd number of segments leaves one blank in 4 (same with 5 here)
    Also, 5 looks terrible for me. I'm bad with change but this is kind of ridiculous. Buttons are in totally different places and have different icons/look totally different, and I don't see any setting that would make it look like I have 4. I enjoy the night mode but I can't see myself purchasing 5... bummer since I was really thinking about it.

I do see improvement with speed in 5 though, in 4 smoothing (with 8-12 segments of symmetry) can sometimes take a minute (literally 60 seconds, not just longer than I want)

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 9.13.50 PM.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	93014

The first image with the eraser is just mirrored symmetry; with that many segments, your eraser stroke applies to every other line because they're all paired up to allow the mirroring to happen (Like this: >|< | >|< | > |< )

Okay, I still can't get anything like the missing stroke to happen here, so I need exact steps.

- symmetry settings (looks like rotational?)
    - do you change back and forth with the symmetry options? Is it any odd number or only high ones like 11?
    - does it only happen with ink pen smoothing active? (Sometimes stuff like smoothing can cause issues) or is it any tool?)
    - where did you make the stroke? The missing segment? Next to it?
    - does it happen repeatedly or just pop up occasionally?
    - What canvas size are you working at?

The first image with the eraser is just mirrored symmetry; with that many segments, your eraser stroke applies to every other line because they're all paired up to allow the mirroring to happen (Like this: >|< | >|< | > |< ) It was mirrored but I hadn't used the eraser (I apparently just changed the tool before taking the screenshot, not sure why), that was the pen I used and it somehow went longer on just the one segment.

Okay, I still can't get anything like the missing stroke to happen here, so I need exact steps.

- symmetry settings (looks like rotational?) rotational, yes
    - do you change back and forth with the symmetry options? Is it any odd number or only high ones like 11? not with that, I didn't change, but I use both quite frequently, it was just one stroke each in 4.5 and 5
    - does it only happen with ink pen smoothing active? (Sometimes stuff like smoothing can cause issues) or is it any tool?) I'm not positive about number because I mainly work with 8-12, but I've never tried 9 (and it's not happening right now)
    - where did you make the stroke? The missing segment? Next to it? it was one off - it was one off, I was drawing one over on the right.. I made a screen recording if that would help, where I rotated where I drew and the missing segment went with it
    - does it happen repeatedly or just pop up occasionally? repeatedly
    - What canvas size are you working at? varies but usually fairly large

Also thank you for your time! I really appreciate it

Ok, what is 'fairly large' for you? (what is the actual canvas size in pixels?).

The screen recording might be helpful, but a script would be even better (as we can see behind the scenes then) - if you're able to create a short script showing this problem, zip it into a nice small file and email it to [email protected]

Funny thing, I just did that and while I was recording the script, it was skipping 1 of 11 in rotational, but when I looked at the script all 11 were there. I found out that using the eraser and then the pen again seems to fix it for future lines, but that doesn't help when the segments are uneven (when one segment doesn't get a portion entirely erased or a portion keeps being drawn past the others like one of the pictures above or something, not specifically with an odd number)
    Fairly large for me is anywhere from 1,200 to 3,600 (square) but when I got the same result in 5 it was smaller
    I'll send the script and the screen recording