ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Make the text input areas accessible for tablet users

Make the text input areas accessible for tablet users

I've got a tablet pc and I'm always using Artrage in Tablet mode. Most other programs allow me to use the tablet's automatic text input feature for text fields, but not Artrage. Is that something you can implement?

It's something on our 'to do' list.
    But in the meantime you can use the text-input panel that is available from the Windows Taskbar.
    Select a text field in ArtRage, click the Text input panel from the taskbar, and write or enter characters from there.
    ArtRage sets the text input 'hinting' to help with numeric inputs with handwritten text.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    ArtRage sets the text input 'hinting' to help with numeric inputs with handwritten text.
    You're correct about the first part, and I've done that. But I'm confused about your last sentence. Could you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by ejcarter
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    You're correct about the first part, and I've done that. But I'm confused about your last sentence. Could you elaborate?
    I'm just technobabbling... With the Windows Ink API, programmers can set the handwriting input panel to favour recognizing numeric or alphabetic characters. In ArtRage when you're entering characters into a numeric entry box, we set the recognizer to favour numerics.
    So if you handwrite 'iss' into the numeric entry, it would recognize it as '155'. But it you wrote it into another text entry box it would recognize it as 'iss'

But my problem is that the input panel icon doesn't show up next to the text box like it does in other programs. It's a small thing, because I can manually call it up from the taskbar, but I wonder why it doesn't come up automatically.

Ah well that's because we dont actually use Windows text input boxes. For various reasons we use our own custom text-input controls which dont currently support all the features of the Windows ones.

You should also be able to summon the input panel by 'scrubbing' the stylus left and right rapidly over the screen, this gesture should work to bring the input panel up.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.