Thread: Artrage and Surface Pro Pen Functionality

Artrage and Surface Pro Pen Functionality

I was wondering if there is any development going on to enhance the experience of using ArtRage with the Surface Pro pen, especially with the traditional tools like the oils brushes? I use a Wacom Cintiq 13HD at my desk, but the Surface Pro is my afk tool. The Wacom works great with AR, but the Surface Pro is seriously lacking with regards to getting results out of AR.

If there was a way to tie brush rotation to stroke direction it would make it a hell of a lot better on the SP. I know this is mainly an issue for Microsoft (and I've no clue why they didn't build in better functionality to their pen given the marketing of the Surfaces as great tools for artists), but I figured it would be best to ask here if there was any development going on to make the experience better.

It's a shame the pen is a bit rubbish, as otherwise the SP is great. I can only imagine the newer Surface Book and Surface Studio to be an utter disappointment to the artists that buy them if it is the same pen and driver tech they are using. Cheers.

We can't support something in the software that isn't supported by the hardware, unfortunately. If ArtRage supports a feature based on device input elsewhere (e.g. tilt, rotation, pressure), then it will support it on any hardware that actually supports that feature (give or take some rare complicated exception). So if Surface Pro hardware/drivers start offering Cintiq level features, using the standard driver types, ArtRage will support them automatically, because it's already part of the program.

It sounds like you have no issues elsewhere, so editing the stylus properties may not help much, but it's worth poking around in them for different tools to see if you can refine the results you're getting.

Yeah I figured that would be the case. I really can't understand why Microsoft went this route with the pen. AR is great on a Cintiq, and it is pretty good for doodling and whatnot on the Surface, but the Surface pen's limitations mean you miss out on AR's best features.