Thread: [Bug?] Eye dropper (Pipette, Color Sampler) got broken from Artrage 4 => Artrage 5

Exclamation [Bug?] Eye dropper (Pipette, Color Sampler) got broken from Artrage 4 => Artrage 5

Hi,
    I just started using ArtRage 5 (using the frEshest, hottest version 5.0.4 on Mac).
    I often pick colors by holting Alt-key and clicking on a colored spot in my painting.

With AR5 I just realized that I almost never(!) get the color sampled that I see on the screen.
    The color is always sampled much brighter.

To illustrate I use the felt pen with a hard tip (full opacity) and just draw a stroke with RGB (0,0,255) - full blue.
    After I drew the stroke, I Alt+click inside the stroke, to sample the color for the second stroke.
    I repeat this multiple times - just draw with the sampled color of the last drawn stroke.

Here is what I get with Art Rage 4:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artrage4_sample.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	92616
    => this works as expected. The lines keep their color...

Here is what I get with Art Rage 5:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artrage5_sample.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	92617

After just a few strokes the color is completely off my original color.
    This is not as expected.

Is this a bug or a feature?
    Do I have some setting to adjust to get the AR4 behaviour?
    Can anyone reproduce?

Thanks for taking care.

Wolfram.

The Color Sampler has some additional features in ArtRage 5, so open the Settings and make sure you haven't changed anything that might affect the sampling (e.g. the area of the sample - if it's high, you'll be getting white from the background).

Canvas lighting might also cause this; if you're sampling with canvas lighting on in AR5 and off in AR4, you might be picking highlighted areas repeatedly, or something like that.

[QUOTE=HannahRage;516327]The Color Sampler has some additional features in ArtRage 5, so open the Settings and make sure you haven't changed anything that might affect the sampling (e.g. the area of the sample - if it's high, you'll be getting white from the background).

Ah!
    Thanks!
    That did the trick.
    The "Expansion Area" of the eye dropper in ArtRage5 was set to 50% per default. (I never changed it - I did not even know the tool has settings).
    I cranked it down to 3% - now the tool has the expected behaviour.

Maybe I it worth re-thinking this "out-of-the box default value" of 50% - as even for quite wide strokes this always picks up white background.
    Which is surprising for users.

What makes this even harder is the cursor behaviour.
    When I switch to the eye dropper tool, I get a square that shows me how wide my sample area is. Great!
    If I work with the "Alt"-Click hotkey, the mouse cursor changes to a cross hair - giving me the (false) impression I have a high accuracy (0%) sample area.

Thanks for the tip - anyway!

WOK

The default settings for the color sampler should be a single pixel (ArtRage 4's color picking is 1 pixel). I'm glad that was all it was!

Quote Originally Posted by DerWOK View Post

What makes this even harder is the cursor behaviour.
    When I switch to the eye dropper tool, I get a square that shows me how wide my sample area is. Great!
    If I work with the "Alt"-Click hotkey, the mouse cursor changes to a cross hair - giving me the (false) impression I have a high accuracy (0%) sample area.

I agree. This is odd behavior. Maybe you should post a message to the suggestions thread!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    I agree. This is odd behavior. Maybe you should post a message to the suggestions thread!
    The main reason this happens currently is that it's meant to be a quick shortcut to settings you already know about. If you're using the oil brush with the square head toggled (for example) then the cursor will look exactly the same as the color sampler cursor, and the oil brush is still selected, so there's no visual indication that you're picking color instead.

It might change in future, but that's why it works that way at the moment.

I have the same bloody problem and its driving me bonkers. I tried to adjust EVERY option in the bloody Pipette settings options and I get squat in terms of accuracy. constrained it to 1% / 2% / 3%
    with metallics, with lighting and without. I never seem to get accurate one click colour samples. Any tips please? Im desperate. on ElCapitan btw. Thank you