ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: YALA - Yet Another Layout Attempt

Gallery
    View images

YALA - Yet Another Layout Attempt

I want to practice painting layouts and so I will be working on one. My ArtRage file got corrupted somehow (posted it in the technical forum) so I lost some of my work and may have to start over but that's life. I want to post wip shots to hopefully get feedback as I want to get good.

I first create a perspective drawing of sorts to guide me.

then I figured I'd add some layers and block in the basic color values.

I lost the start of the temple but my next thought was to rough in the jungle, cobble stones and what not and then add more layers for tint, texture and so on. Hopefully I'll have time to do more Friday. Any feedback appreciated as I go.

Gallery
    View images
    Wellll... thanks to Andy I got my file back. Wanted to post more but I had another minor glitch - paper seemed to get 'stuck' even when I set it back to 'cel' I had a paper from earlier still applied. Had to go back to a previous save so I've got less to show than I hoped. Anyway here is this mornings dabble -just sketched in a few lines of the plants on a new layer and I'll flesh them out later. Feedback welcome; my goal is to be able to eventually paint professional quality animation backgrounds.

Gallery
    View images
    Looking like a tropical Salvador Dali. . .

Good progression so far.

Gallery
    View images
    I'd not put that tree sitting dead in the middle. Having something in the middle destroys this layout, and the tree doesn't touch anything this way, which makes it look foreign.

Try moving it behind the house so only part of it is seen.

And I'd recommend to finish painting the background before you go into detail like flowers. :) Establish good color environment first, elaborate on it later.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the kind words.

I went to a very cool event tonight at Van Eaton Galleries in Sherman Oaks CA

http://www.creativetalentnetwork.com/booklook.html

So many incredible artists in the room I hope I absorbed something via osmosis.

That and a last minute school project I had to help my son with meant no more painting time. I dropped in a few layers and quickly blasted some plants in there just to get something up before bed -and see if I should put the jungle crowding in like this or leave it open to the mountains? Maybe I should even have leaves over the top so it is enclosed with a small clearing for the action. Might allow some cool lighting.

Not sure. Anyone feels like doing a paint over on any of this to point out stuff it is all good. I'm really motivated to learn.

Gallery
    View images
    Yikes! Think I've mangled it. Will probably start again until I get something that works right. This is the end result of my first pass.

Gallery
    View images
    Next time, decide on which direction the light comes from before you paint...

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you - I did just jump in. Need to plan a little.

Gallery
    View images

Updated 04/21/07

Ok. Today I decided to paint a new jungle background which will go at the back of this layout. I'll add some more vines and stuff to it tomorrow. Then I'll do the ground with the stones and then the temple and so on. Then I'll flatted each piece and put them all together and add final lighting details. Hopefully this will help me keep it more organized than what I did this last time.